ambsreads's Reviews > Beginner's Luck

Beginner's Luck by Kate Clayborn

liked it
bookshelves: romance, adult, contemporary

MY REVIEW FOR BEGINNERS LUCK WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED ON MY BLOG, CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

I think everyone can agree that winning the lottery is everyone’s dream come true. I know for a fact it’s my literal dream because easy money is always great. Added on to this is the fact my mum almost bloody won the lottery one time! I was 8 and I remember sitting outside while she got her ticket checked, we were one (1) number off. But, we did end up with almost three grand and my mum bought my sister and I all new furniture.

Moving on from my tale of the lottery, Beginner’s Luck is the story of Kit. Kit and her two best friends won the lottery. Kit is a scientist; I can’t really speak too much on this part because I understood exactly 0% of the discussions that revolved around Kit’s job. I literally am just so bad at science. Anyway, Kit didn’t have the easiest life. Her mum left when she was young and her father’s an alcoholic gambler. Her older brother is basically the one that kept her grounded and tried to make every house they lived in a home. I moved a lot as a kid so this was something that I related to with Kit. The other perspective in this book, aka the love interest, is Ben. Ben has returned home in order to take care of his father who has had a fall. He works for a company that recruits scientists to help with their work and while he’s helping his father his best friend rings and wants him to recruit Kit. It’s a bit of a mess honestly, the pair bicker a lot as Ben struggles to recruit Kit.

On top of Ben and Kit’s struggles to get to know each other, but struggling with the work side, Kit has bought an old historical home to renovate and put down roots in the town. I absolutely love house renovations so I absolutely adored this inclusion in the plot.

The overall message of this book is doing things for you. You have to make yourself happy and to allow yourself to say no.

Anyway, I should jump into my detailed likes and dislikes of Beginners Luck.

L I K E S
✗ KIT & BEN ARE SO CUTE!!

They were so sweet, their chemistry and back and forth had me giggling. Individually they were both great characters as well, they were very fleshed out and both their perspectives throughout the novel brought something different, which I appreciated greatly. The relationship between the pair of them was very organic and naturally coming as well. There were moments where I was a little bit uncomfortable due to some weird dialogue but I feel that happens in all books for me.

✗ KIT’S PAST WAS SO FAMILIAR AND WELL DONE

Kit’s past was a bit of an intense one. She grew up with an absent mother and a father who wasn’t the best at any given time. Her brother was the only one who was there for her and now that she is older she wants to settle down. I definitely related to the brother more in this situation, as he was someone who didn’t want to settle down, but overall Kit’s past was one that I know well and was able to connect to. Moving a lot was apart of my childhood. One year we moved schools four times. It was hard, never easy, and it was something I have yearned to see in a book for a while and I am beyond happy to finally have it, especially with it being executed so well in this particular novel.

✗ FAMILY FIGHTS ACCURATELY DONE

Sibling fights are messy. Especially when the siblings are extremely different. I know this for a fact because my sister and I struggle so badly. Kit and her brother had one of the most realistic arguments I have seen. Both incredibly stubborn and refusing to relent, it made me beyond happy to see something like that represented throughout the text.
On top of his, Ben and his father fight quite a lot. The pair of them butting heads as Henry, the father, wants to refuse help and be back to his old self. It was an interesting dynamic I feel isn’t common enough in any genre of books that I read, fights between the male characters and their parents. It was an insight I haven’t gotten before.

✗ CLOSE FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS MAKE MY CROPS GROW

If I had crops they would be thriving after reading the friendship in this book. I adore non-toxic female friendships where there is no competitiveness and everyone just supports one another. This book has that perfectly. Kit and her two best friends are so different but come together and have the most beautiful friendship that dreams are made of. I know I’m being dramatic but it was just so incredible. If you pick up this book for any reason, do it for that. Or pick it up because it explores the gender bias in science.

D I S L I K E S
✗ STORY GOT A BIT SLOPPY AT THE END

Miscommunication is the bane of my existence. I will die from it. It made the end of this book incredibly sloppy. At times it felt like it had completely fallen apart and I even wanted to DNF due to it. It just wasn’t necessary honestly. We don’t need the dramatic break up to make the HEA even sweeter, it just is a waste of time honestly. Plus, the complication coming so close to the end just kind of gave the book a strange format.

✗ LOTS OF TIME JUMPS

I hate time jumps, honestly. I want all the nitty-gritty details and to see every relationship form. I don’t want to jump periods of time and have the book tell me what happened rather than show me. It gets annoying and at times feels as if I missed something really important.

✗ TOO MANY WORDS

This one is pretty simple, at times this book was very wordy and I was annoyed by it. I feel it could have been shorter if some things had been cut down quite a bit.

Overall, Beginner’s Luck was on the way to becoming a new favourite of mine. The ending was just unfortunately what let it down and dropped it to a three star for me. I do still recommend this book, I think it explores a lot of important topics. While simultaneously being a smart and sexy romance with a lovely couple that you will be rooting for. I am very excited to read the following books in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beginner's Luck.

April 24, 2018 – Shelved