Tatiana's Reviews > The Bride Test

The Bride Test by Helen Hoang

bookshelves: romancelandia, 2019
Read 2 times. Last read September 28, 2019 to September 30, 2019.

I am not going to up this to 5 stars. I mostly agree with my old review - this book needs about 100% more smut in it. And this time around the whole immigrant story line made me extra anxious and sad (Even though I find that immigrant experience here is portrayed in a sugar-coated way. It is 10 times harder to get through the process in real life. Been there, done that.)

Another thing is, this novel made me real thirsty for Quan's book, with 7 MORE MONTHS OF WAIT LEFT. Story of my life...

Original review

More serious, less smutty, equally sweet, compared to The Kiss Quotient.

So, mail-order bride scenario in romance is not exactly my idea of a good time. (And neither was a male escort one in The Kiss Quotient). But what Helen Hoang undoubtedly has a talent for is creating characters that are kind and empathetic.

Esme is recruited by Khai’s mom to seduce and marry him, so that he finally can have someone to be with. He is on the spectrum, and isn’t good at relationships, for obvious reasons. Now, this can go wrong in many ways, but Khai’s mom is super nice and truly believes Esme is the best match for her son. Esme isn’t exactly a seductress, but a goofy girl with a big heart (and some mistakes in her past). And Khai believes himself incapable of feeling emotions.

I feel like The Bride Test is a weightier, more serious work. Hoang draws on her parents’ immigrant past, adding a big dose of realism to this romance, but not exactly going all the way there, it is a smutty romance after all. Esme and Khai’s personal journeys are more real too, and so are their problems.

I liked The Bride Test a lot, and inhaled it in a matter of hours. I didn’t like it quite as much as The Kiss Quotient, because apparently I like fantasy scenarios more than real ones. And I clearly prefer a lot of smut too. Esme and Khai’s relationship is a steamy one, but I would have preferred it... even more so. The book has the sexiest haircut scene though. It’s amazing how arousing a conversation about boundaries and sensory sensitivity can be! @.@ And when Khai and Quan and Michael are in a different scene together, it’s a total riot! You are in for a treat.

Now, more wait for the next Helen Hoang romance. I don't know what it is yet, but I hope it’s Quan’s turn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Test.

April 24, 2018 – Shelved
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: romancelandia
February 2, 2019 – Started Reading
February 2, 2019 – Shelved as: abandoned
February 2, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "My weekend is booked."
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
February 3, 2019 – Finished Reading
September 28, 2019 – Started Reading
September 28, 2019 –
1.0% "Another smutty fave to try to kick me out of the reading funk. I need this slump gone!"
September 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Rachel Reads Ravenously Less smutty you say? *races to grab my kindle to start* (Looking forward to the full review!)

Erika Lynn ummmm how have you read this already?!? Very jealous! Also looking forward to the full review!

Tatiana Rachel Reads Ravenously wrote: "Less smutty you say? *races to grab my kindle to start* (Looking forward to the full review!)"

A tad less smutty. There is still quite a bit. I wouldn’t want to mischaracterize it.

Emily May I'm hoping for Quan too! He's hilarious :)

Tatiana Emily May wrote: "I'm hoping for Quan too! He's hilarious :)"

And with a heart of gold, of course;) Those tattoos don’t hurt his appeal either.

˗ˋˏ ellie ♔ bear ˎˊ˗ Ah! I just finished, and adored, The Kiss Quotient and didn't realize the books were connected til your review! *adds to tbr*

Tatiana ˗ˋˏ ellie ♔ bear ˎˊ˗ wrote: "Ah! I just finished, and adored, The Kiss Quotient and didn't realize the books were connected til your review! *adds to tbr*"

Nice surprise and only a couple of months wait! We, early fans, had to wait a year. Lucky you;)

Catie (deargentlebookworm) "because apparently I like fantasy scenarios more than real ones" lolz. me too, girl!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Great review

Vanessa Yes! Quan’s turn :)

Jenny Just finished this and I basically agree with your review 100%. Also yes,🤞🏻🤞🏻for a Quan story next.

message 12: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 13, 2019 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana Jenny wrote: "Just finished this and I basically agree with your review 100%. Also yes,🤞🏻🤞🏻for a Quan story next."

It’s definitely Quan’s story, and it’d better HAVE MORE SMUT than this books;)

Sandisiwe Magadla I'm so happy that I found someone who agrees that that haircut scene was the sexiest scene ever