Sarah's Reviews > A Holy Passion: A Novel of David Brainerd and Jerusha Edwards

A Holy Passion by Alicia G. Ruggieri

Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for very mild romance and descriptive illness
Best for Ages: 13 and up
I was so tired of romance as portrayed by so many authors. Some tried to be so careful that it felt lifeless and unrealistic, but most made it sound as if you had no control when you were in love. Even Christian books seem to be pushing the idea that boundaries can’t be upheld when a romance is underway. This book is so very different.
This book was nothing like any of those books. This book was honest about a girl finding a guy attractive (for many good reasons) and hoping they can be more than friends without a lot to base that hope on (many girls do this). With that honesty came and understanding that self-control was important and you can’t count on something happening.
This book is about real historical characters that I’ve read a lot about. Although it has been several years since I went through my obsession with the Edwards family, this book felt true to what I remembered of them and of David Brainerd. It seems Ruggieri really did her research.
My favorite part of the story was how what God wanted, what would honor Him most was put in front of every feeling. Brainerd placed it before his depression and anxiety to serve as a missionary. Jerusha puts it before her desire to be loved by Brainerd. Yet, in the story, it is clear that there is something very powerful that is released because of that sacrifice, as there always is in the Christian life.
Ruggieri is a talented writer. I’ve appreciated each of her books that I’ve read. Above her skill, or even her impeccable research, is her love for Jesus. Her passion for God spills across each page of her writing.
I highly recommend this book to those who like historical fiction, godly characters, and powerful messages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Holy Passion.

April 24, 2018 – Shelved
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2018 – Started Reading
June 16, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads
June 16, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
June 16, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
June 16, 2018 –
16.0% "I'm loving this story. I love how Jerusha's honesty in having feelings for someone, yet she knows that she has little basis for it. She so wants to do what is right."
June 18, 2018 – Shelved as: homeschool-author