Sean Meriwether's Reviews > Logan's Run

Logan's Run by William F. Nolan

it was ok
bookshelves: book-becomes-movie, sci-fi, dystopia, good-concept-bad-execution

"Live fast die young." -- Circle Jerks

As a child I developed a taste for post-apocalyptic, disaster and dystopian stories. They offered an escape from mundane realities and primed me for some future catastrophe that I would help others survive. There is something about overcoming unthinkable odds in creative ways that has always appealed to me. The bizarre movie adaptation of Logan's Run easily fit into this genre, and its message of self-determination and hope continues to resonate with me. The movie streamlined this haphazard adventure story into a hero's journey as a trained assassin on a mission to find and destroy Sanctuary learns the harsh truths of his "utopia" and returns to free his society from prescribed death by destroying the computer responsible for running everything.

I picked up the short novel to reconnect with story and try to get background on some of the odder movie moments (i.e. did the robot, Box, keep the runners as a food source? or just on ice?) While it did answer some questions, this acid-trip of a cross-country trek from LA to Florida through relentlessly strange landscape is uneven and comes across as a dystopian scavenger hunt. It also poses more questions... For instance, in a world where no one is over 21 years old, who is working? What do they do for food? Does the dying computer run everything? If the whole country is open territory (except for what the Little War destroyed), why aren't more runners in hiding? What, really, do these kids do besides hedonism? While the movie traces the evolution of Logan from rule-following cynic to romantic optimist, the book reads more like a rail against the youth culture of the 1960s, taking it to a radical extreme. However, the final chapters are action-packed and introduce the series of Logan-themed stories that follow, who still ends up a romantic optimist with a future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logan's Run.

November 18, 2011 – Shelved