Kapi's Reviews > Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback

Tracks by Robyn Davidson

did not like it
bookshelves: boo-blah-and-wohn-wohn
Recommended for: ?

I was disappointed by this book. I felt that the author had a major chip on her shoulder that she never really got over. Her open contempt for anyone interested in her or her journey was not only tiring, but made for a strange read (being one of those interested in her journey). I felt tricked - like she'd invited me to read her story and then accused me of voyeurism. I was left with the feeling that this book was written out of obligation to some sponsor more than a desire to share her experience with the world. Wonh-wonh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracks.

June 4, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 9, 2008 – Finished Reading
July 21, 2008 – Shelved as: boo-blah-and-wohn-wohn

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Saskia Reijmer I totally agree. It felt insincere, what made me uncomfortable reading this book

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross Barlow Total agreement. There are morecthan a few contradictions between what the author claimscto be doing/ thinking and the reality of the trip. The 2012 conclusion made me far more comfortable with the original book.

Lesley Absolute agreement

Lesley Absolute agreement

Amanda Spoken as a true extrovert. I guess you need to be more introverted to understand what Ms Davidson felt. It was an amazing book. I wish I was her. It is difficult for a person to truly experience something of she shares the whole time. The book was great in that the experience was shared after the fact. Amazing.

Sarah Russom As an introvert as well, I agree with Kapi. The author wanted no one's help but had no problems taking countless offerings. Also, she was grossly unprepared for a trip of this kind. Nothing to admire in this story.

Kate LaRue YES. Well put.

Joanie Taylor I completely agree. I have a really hard time not seeing a book through to the end, but this one just irritated me so much that I couldn't do it. Her attitude is a total turn off.

Amber I think you missed the entire point, honestly.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine I've felt a bit irritated by all her whining and drinking. She's out there to "find herself " and she keeps reaching for the bottle. Also, feel like she used the book to make a plea for the aboriginal people. I guess I'm just feeling a bit misled and disappointed.

Kathryn I've just started reading today. I am already sick of her complaining.

Leslie Hasty What major chip on her shoulder? I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book of one woman's journey the Australian desert. And isn't that the point of a Memoir? To personalize and make your own detailed story to tell? Robyn faced many difficulties and challenges. Frankly, I liked her narrative tone of writing. I felt I was there beside her, when she wrote and compiled this earnest tale of why she choose to trek so many miles, in the Australian desert. If supplies are scarce, you are a bit on the woody side, and you have to shoot your dog because its already reach the death stages from poisoning, then you would have ever bloody right too, to be pissy. So, unless some of you negative readers have written a book and been published, or dared to go on an adventure through a hot, scorching climate, then you really shouldn't be overly critical. I know I truly appreciate reading memoirs on people from varied backgrounds and cultures in life.

Leslie Hasty Typos in above comment. I can't seem to edit. But the gest of my point stands. Thank you!

Femke Castles The author was a remarkable woman who completed a remarkable feat whilst complaining a remarkable amount!!

message 15: by Staci (new) - added it

Staci Fecura I couldn't finish it for these exact reasons.

message 16: by Anji (new) - added it

Anji Perhaps reading Ffyona Campbell's Feet of Clay would be a good comparison. Ffyona was an extremely troubled young woman I felt from reading all of her adventures and sometimes she came across as unlikeable, but I think that she was going through a really emotional time ams doing these walks was an attempt to heal, a catharsis perhaps, although there were a lot of things that went wrong and sometimes the relationships that she made suffered because of her attitude, but she was always honest with herself.

message 17: by Jody (new) - rated it 1 star

Jody Moore I am only 60 pages in and ready to quit. She is still procrastinating taking the trip - ugh!