Danielle's Reviews > Failsafe

Failsafe by Anela Deen

To be honest, it was more like 4.5, which I'll elaborate on in a bit.

Disclaimers: I was given a free ARC of Failsafe through Netgalley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. Spoilers ahead!

Okay. How do I properly express my love for Failsafe without becoming a gushy mess? I don't think it's possible. First of all, the character development...

I started out not loving the main character, Sol, because she, like many other disabled characters in books I've read, thought she was less of a person due to her illness. However, as the story progressed and Sol found herself away from the ableist environment she grew up in, she finally came to the realization that she has not gotten so far in spite of her illness. Epilepsy is simply a part of her and yes, she had to make some adjustments in her life to accommodate it, but she is still worthy and entitled to everything an abled person is.

The character development displayed here is so incredibly important to me as a disabled, chronically ill person. When I was her age, I thought similar things about myself. I thought I was less of a person due to the ableist society we live in. It was depressing and discouraging and I really felt for Sol in those scenes. When she finally learned that the opposite was true, I cried, I was so happy for her!

Sol wasn't the only one who grew as a character. Echo grew to become one of my favourite fictional characters of all time. I won't spoil it for you, as it's too cute not to experience yourself.

Second of all, Sol and Echo. Sol! And! Echo! Their chemistry was intoxicating. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. Sometimes I scan paragraphs in books like this where there's a long adventure to get to their end goal, but I didn't have to do that at all in Failsafe. Every scene was written in such a way that I was hanging on every word, empowered by every sarcastic retort. I stayed up all night reading just so I wouldn't have to leave Sol's and Echo's world.

Of course, the book wasn't perfect. I have yet to find one that is. I would've liked to see how everything turned out: the settlements' reactions, Sol reuniting with her parents and Leithan, that sort of thing. On that subject, I really felt like her settlement was going to play a bigger role in the story than it did. Sure, they were her motivation, her reminder of why she's risking her life for Echo's mission, but after she leaves the settlement they never show up again. Sol did check in with them over radio once or twice, though we were told so in afterthoughts, not firsthand. This doesn't bother me enough to knock my rating down a full star, though, because the story as a whole was detailed and well developed.

Do I recommend this book? Yes! Go pre-order it right now!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Failsafe.

April 24, 2018 – Started Reading
April 24, 2018 – Shelved
May 1, 2018 –
14.0% "I am so immensely happy I was granted access to this ARC!"
May 1, 2018 –
21.0% "Sol reminds me of myself when I was newly diagnosed. It's hard being so young and trying to deal with how people treat you differently. It's incredibly relieving and wonderful when someone sees You and not a fragile flower, or, with one particular asshole character, less of a human being. Needless to say, I'm loving Failsafe so far."
May 1, 2018 –
52.0% ""The ambiance was agreeable, however." I am dead. Goodbye, I no longer exist. Cause of Death: This chemistry."
May 2, 2018 –
May 4, 2018 –
74.0% "I am a crumbling mess of emotion."
May 6, 2018 –