Lucy's Reviews > The Hook Up

The Hook Up by Kristen Callihan

bookshelves: contemporary, m-f-romance, sports

Love, when it came for me, did not creep. No, it walked up to me, bold as you please, you know, just in case I wasn't paying attention. It did, however, slap me upside my head.

I'm so glad I finally got round to reading this one, it was such a fun romance and I can see why everyone raves about it so much. I'm going to be honest here, the prologue made me cringe.. bad. It just had some seriously OTT instalove. However, once I actually got into the book it was so much better and I fell in love with it.

Anna Jones is a dedicated college student, desperately trying to figure out what she wants from her life so she hasn't got the time, or the patience, for a relationship. Then Drew Baylor, star quarterback and most popular guy on the campus, starts showing an interest in her. Anna tries her best to ignore him but when she can't she agrees that they can be a hook-up but is adamant that they're not going to be more than that. However, Drew always gets what he wants and he's not willing to just back down.

The relationship between these two was just so good, they had so much tension and even more banter. I loved the push and pull between them. Drew was a fantastic hero. He came across as just the genuinely sweetest guy and he wasn't just some airhead jock, he really was a smart guy who worked hard to get where he was. Anna was also a great heroine, she was smart, and level-headed. She could also be sarky at times although she did have her insecurities.

I just feel like I loved everything about this one, it was definitely the best contemporary romance i've read in a while. I also really loved Drew's best friend, Gray, in this one so I can't wait to read his book, I feel like that is gonna be a whole lot of fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hook Up.

April 24, 2018 – Shelved