Lauren (The Novel Lush)'s Reviews > Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

bookshelves: april-2018, arcs, urban-fantasy, favorites-of-2018

4.5 stars if I wanna be technical, lol.

I was expecting to just 'like' this book, especially since I hadn't started the Chicagoland Vampires yet, but I loved it! Reading the other series first could have helped, but there's enough that you can jump right into this one without being lost.

There were very few, very tiny typos, like leaving out a "to" or "it" and there were only 2 or 3 of them, but the book doesn't release until August, so no biggie.

On the other hand, THE BOOK DOESN'T COME OUT UNTIL AUGUST and now it will be that much of a longer wait for the sequel. In the meantime, I'll just mosey on over to my kindle and start everything else Chloe Neill has written that's been chillaxing on my Kindle for a couple years. (Though we'll see if I like it as much, since Ethan was just kind of there, but Merit struck me as... weird).

There was nothing outright complicated about the worldbuilding, but the mix of real world politics (like the delegates and peace talks) with Fairy/Vampire/Shifter agendas was fun.

Some of the fairy dialogue was stilted in a way that came off a little corny, but it wasn't a big deal, and didn't detract from the enjoyability of the book for me. There were some problems with pacing in the middle, but if Im being quite honest, it could have because I wanted to skip all of the intrigue and get to the romance! I'm shameless in that way. There was no insta-love, for which I'm eternally grateful, and the hint of what's to come between our two MCs that we got in the last chapter and epilogue? Yes please!

I will say, that the romantic interludes, though brief, were a smidge awkward, but it works because Connor and Elisa are awkwardly trying to maneuver around developing feelings between lifelong frenemies in the middle of all hell breaking loose across the city of Chicago and disaster being wrought between shifters, vampires, fairies, humans, and their respective politics.

The way Connor responded to the secret she's hiding from literally everyone else was also swoon worthy, and double thumbs up for the fact that even though their feelings appear to be drastically changing towards each other, they stay true to their sarcastic and snarky selves.

It's a great blend of PNR and Urban Fantasy, with some great one-liners. My favorite was Lis's internal description about what she suspected was powering Lulu's "car".

All in all, it's refreshingly different from the paranormal romance I usually read. Not drastically, just in little subtle ways that ensure it doesn't feel like every other PNR I've read, and some days I feel like I've read ALL the good ones already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Hunger.

April 24, 2018 – Started Reading