Christa's Reviews > As She Fades

As She Fades by Abbi Glines

it was ok
bookshelves: library-book, 2018, contemporary, meh, new-adult

** spoiler alert ** I almost dnf this book.

Almost.

Don’t bother reading the summary of this book, it’s lies.

I thought this would be about a girl who finds another love while her boyfriend is in a coma, for her boyfriend to wake up and not remember her. I thought this because it says this in the summary.

Slate Allen, a college friend of Vale's brother, has been visiting his dying uncle at the same hospital. When he and Vale meet, she can't deny the flutter of an illicit attraction. She tries to ignore her feelings, but she's not immune to Slate's charm. Slowly, they form a cautious friendship.
Then, Crawford wakes up . . . with no memory of Vale or their relationship. Heartbroken, Vale opts to leave for college and move on with her life.

Except that’s not what happens.

The book is divided into part one and part two. And part one was hard to get through. Slate will sleep with anyone, and it’s hard to think of how great a guy is when there are no telling how many STDs he has. Vale was young and immature, which comes with being eighteen, I guess?

And then part two, the plot twist.

Vale was actually in the coma, not Crawford. I honestly had to go back and read it again, because I thought I had zoned out.

Yep, the first 60% was all just a dream.

And the ending was abrupt.

What kills me the most?

^ That part, the part I was looking forward to? Didn’t even happen. And I don’t mean it was all a dream - it didn’t happen. It straight up wasn’t in the book. Even in part one, where it was Crawford in the coma, he never woke up.

I don’t know if this was a sloppy description or just straight lies.

I would love to read an angsty story where a girl loses her first love to amnesia and has to move on with her life. And I just feel cheated.

Part two was ok, with Vale finding confidence in herself and getting a backbone.

I’d recommend if you have read this author and liked her previous works. But I would borrow before buying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As She Fades.

April 23, 2018 – Shelved
April 23, 2018 – Shelved as: library-book
April 24, 2018 – Started Reading
April 25, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 27, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
April 27, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
April 27, 2018 – Shelved as: new-adult
April 27, 2018 – Shelved as: meh

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Chelle I felt exactly the same way! The description might as well have been another book. Very frustrating!

Christa Yes! I really liked the description and would love to read that book. But between the false description and the first 60% being pointless, this book was a nope.

Emma I couldn't believe it. Once I finished the book and realised that the part I was looking forward never happened I got so upset, argh!!

Christa I know. I felt lied to. It was such a misleading description. You can’t call it a shocking twist when it wasn’t even written.