Tori (InToriLex)'s Reviews > What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky: Stories

What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky by Lesley Nneka Arimah

bookshelves: short-story, african, ownvoices, favorite

Content Warning: Violence, Domestic Abuse, Trauma, Child Abuse

I have been blessed by a master storyteller and I am grateful. There is so much beauty and hard realities in these stories. Through the use of magical realism and fantastical elements, characters inner turmoil are made physical. The characters are memorable and refreshingly flawed, so each story feels like a friend's you a secret. I enjoyed each and every story, they all held suspense, surprises and descriptions of family trauma. In most short story collections there are some that may not be right for the reader, but I enjoyed each one in this collection.

"This starts another argument between husband and wife, mild at first, but then it peppers and there us this thing that distance dies where it subtracts warmth and context and history and each finds that they're arguing with a stranger."

Besides the awesome prose, imagery and realism the author's unique experience and culture was incorporated. Windfalls is a story about a mother and daughter who live off of settlements they receive from slip and fall lawsuits. The story is told from the daughter's perspective and as she grows up the ugliness of this lifestyle becomes more pronounced. What it Means When A Man Falls From the Sky is a story about how mathematicians have figured out a formula to fix the effects of trauma and grief. The results of this in a future world separated by class are not what it seems, and the story left me thinking about it for a long time. Life would be so much simpler if there was a actual fix to trauma.

"Girls with fire in their bellies will be forced to drink from a well of correction till the flames die out."

The theme of women and girls as autonomous and powerful despite their circumstances runs throughout these stories. The stories cross continents include future technology and incorporate African culture. I am astounded by this author's talent and will happily read anything that she creates.

Recommended for Readers who
- enjoy memorable short stories
- like reading about diverse characters and trauma
- enjoy fantasy and magical realism elements

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky.

April 23, 2018 – Started Reading