Amanda Lyons's Reviews > Between Seasons

Between Seasons by Aida Brassington

Nov 18, 2011

Read from December 05 to 08, 2011

Between Seasons isn't going to be at all like you expect. Its not really a romance, not a traditional ghost story and not something you're going to expect to pull you in (its such a subtle little tale) but it really does!

Patrick died at the age of 19 in the year 1970 and he's been stuck in his house ever since. Lost and drifting in an abandoned house (His parents moved shortly after his death and there's been nothing but the occasional visit from the caretaker ever since.) with so few things he can touch and feel connected to he doesn't know how much time has passed but he feels like its been forever.

Then one day a woman he thinks he remembers (but who seems much older than she should) walks into the house and behind her is a curious young woman with spiky blond hair. Suddenly he has someone he can connect to even if its only through his following her around the house and watching her as she talks to herself about her life. And soon he realizes its been forty years since he died, his parents are gone and everything about the world has changed while he's been trapped right here.

At first he's depressed by these events (who wouldn't be after so long being in one place for years?) but his connection to the girl (a woman not much older than him) bit by bit offers him a new focus and before long he's really invested in the girl who's taken over his parents house.

I can't go too much more into the plot (what would be the point of reading it then?)but suffice to say its a great little story with a subtle strength worth the time if you're willing to take it. Patrick is such an interesting character on his own that you keep getting sucked into his story over and over as he gets more and more invested in Sara being in his life he gets just that much more endearing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Seasons.

message 1: by Tressa (new) - added it

Tressa This looks good, but I'm not into sappy teen books. Is it reading like a good ghost story or a schlocky romance?

Amanda Lyons Tressa wrote: "This looks good, but I'm not into sappy teen books. Is it reading like a good ghost story or a schlocky romance?"

I'd better read into it a bit more before i say for sure. There seems to be a hint toward potential romance but thus far its more about their separate lives touching on each other and soothing their hurts (neither actually talks to the other in a way that means they're interacting one on one more peripherally) . So as far as I've read I'd say its more personal drama than romance. Its certainly not the Twilight sort of stuff in any case. I'll let you know if it changes.

message 3: by Tressa (new) - added it

Tressa Thanks. I love haunted house/ghost stories. I don't really mind if there's a romance, just not where the whole thing takes over the ghostly specialness of the book. KWIM? And I don't like if it's too teenybopper.

Amanda Lyons Tressa wrote: "Thanks. I love haunted house/ghost stories. I don't really mind if there's a romance, just not where the whole thing takes over the ghostly specialness of the book. KWIM? And I don't like if it's t..."

Oh trust me I know what you mean! Just got done reading a vamp romance my sister asked me to read and man did I twitch my way through that sucker! Between Seasons thus far is a lot quirkier than that stuff.

message 5: by Tressa (new) - added it

Tressa Good to hear. I'll await your review on it.