Miranda Reads's Reviews > A Darker Shade of Magic

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: audiobook

description

“I'm not going to die," she said. "Not till I've seen it."

"Seen what?"

Her smile widened. "Everything.”
Kell - one of the last Antari - is playing a dangerous game. Being an Antari, he travels between worlds.

He knows of four worlds and all four of them have one, conveniently overlapping city: London.

Grey London - Magicless, technology driven.

Red London - Magic is considered a gift and is practiced with careful determination

White London - Magic is cruel, often needs to be stolen and locked into bodies

Black London - Magic is hungry and all-consuming, magic apocalypse happened here. All magic, artifacts and people from Black London is banned from the other worlds.

Kell frequently travels in and out of the Londons - passing along correspondence, adventuring and smuggling artifacts (that last bit is hugely illegal).

After a visit to the cruel king and queen of White London, Kell is given an innocuous black stone and told to bring it to Red London. A bit buzzed and confused, he travels between worlds only to discover that the stone is actually a part of Black London.

By smuggling the stone, Kell committed treason against the crown of Red London (his adopted family) but more importantly, the black stone contains remnants of that world's magic - seduction and hunger.

Delilah "Lila" Bard lives in Grey London (not that she knows it). It's the only London without magic and she's spent her entire life looking for a way out. And then Kell lands on her doorstop.
I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still.
Kell immediately struggles with the power of the stone. And he soon realizes that although he may not want it, help will come to him in the form of one very, very stubborn Lila Bard.
“Sure I do,” countered Lila cheerfully. “There’s Dull London, Kell London, Creepy London, and Dead London,” she recited, ticking them off on her fingers. “See? I’m a fast learner.”
Whewww! I really enjoyed the start to this series!

Schwab had such a unique idea - with the four Londons and their varying degrees of magic - and executed it extremely well. I loved all the details she included - it really made the story come alive.

As for the characters...Lila (at times a bit over the top) really balanced out the seriousness and coldness of Kell. The two of them working together had a really natural feel - as evidenced by their free-flowing banter.
“I apologize for anything I might have done. I was not myself.”

“I apologize for shooting you in the leg.” said Lila. “I was myself entirely.”
I cannot wait to get started on book two!

Audiobook Comments
Read by Steven Crossley - and he did a great job. This was a rather well-read audiobook. I do wish he would've had more emotion when it came to his characters but then again, Kell is supposed to be a little stand-offish.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darker Shade of Magic.

April 23, 2018 – Shelved
May 18, 2018 – Started Reading
May 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you are excited about this series, Miranda :) Terrific review!! xox

Samantha Nicole This is one of my favorite series currently! Personally, I think this book is the 'weakest' of the three, and only improve as the story progresses. :)

Natalie This is such an amazing series--glad to hear you liked it! :D

message 4: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review, Miranda :)

Ashley From what I read, amazing review!!!! I didn’t want to spoil it bc I’m going to buy it soon :-) & I have it checked out from the library rn :-P. It’s caught my eye and I’ve wanted to read it for a long time now! I haven’t read a V.E. Schwab book yet! I feel like it’s a crime, haha! I have a question or two abt the book actually! (I’m wondering if it’s a good book to get me out of my book slump lol and I gave certain things I KNOW affect that haha I’m dyin’ here). Should I DM you?

Miranda Reads KAS wrote: "Glad you are excited about this series, Miranda :) Terrific review!! xox"

Thank you! I adored how unique this premise was!

Miranda Reads Samantha Nicole wrote: "This is one of my favorite series currently! Personally, I think this book is the 'weakest' of the three, and only improve as the story progresses. :)"

Ohmygosh. I can't wait for the sequel now!

Miranda Reads Natalie wrote: "This is such an amazing series--glad to hear you liked it! :D"

that's awesome :)

Miranda Reads Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Miranda :)"

thank you! !

Miranda Reads Ashley wrote: "From what I read, amazing review!!!! I didn’t want to spoil it bc I’m going to buy it soon :-) & I have it checked out from the library rn :-P. It’s caught my eye and I’ve wanted to read it for a l..."

Thank you! It was a fun book. And sure, DM me

♠️ TABI ♠️ Oh, this is such a fun and excellent series!! One of my favorites xD Glad to see you enjoyed it!

Miranda Reads ♠️ Tabi ♠️ wrote: "Oh, this is such a fun and excellent series!! One of my favorites xD Glad to see you enjoyed it!"

I kept seeing folks on GR reading this one and decided to give it a short - and what a great idea :)

♠️ TABI ♠️ Miranda wrote: "♠️ Tabi ♠️ wrote: "Oh, this is such a fun and excellent series!! One of my favorites xD Glad to see you enjoyed it!"

Warning: this series will get brutal to your feelings . . . at least it did with me xD

Miranda Reads Oh gosh. Now I'm scared :(

♠️ TABI ♠️ Okay, it's like the GOOD kind of brutal that you want, yknow?? lol

Miranda Reads Okkkkk....i guess I will find out when I read the rest😁

message 17: by Franci (new) - added it

Franci I can't wait to read this! Great review!!

Miranda Reads Woohoo :)

Angela's Booked I really want to read this book now I just don’t know where I am gonna fit it in my ever growing TBR list :P

Miranda Reads isn't it just awful?

Miranda Reads Thanks! And I feel the same :)

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Glad you loved it!! It's definitely my favorite of the series! Such a unique premise, endless action, and I LOVE Lila & Kell in this one

Miranda Reads ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω wrote: "Glad you loved it!! It's definitely my favorite of the series! Such a unique premise, endless action, and I LOVE Lila & Kell in this one"

Definitely agree - Lila and Kell make such a unique couple. Truly a great pair!!

kazually great review!! i love this book sm, glad you liked it too <3

Miranda Reads Woohoo! Have you read the rest of the series, Kazually?

kazually yep, loved them all lol

Miranda Reads That's great news! I cannot wait :)

kazually hope you enjoy <33