Orville Jenkins's Reviews > The Bible and the Future

The Bible and the Future by Anthony A. Hoekema

Read 2 times. Last read April 7, 2018 to April 10, 2018.

This was a very enjoyable and rewarding read. Hoekema provides an excellent review of major thinkers on the question of the biblical view(s) of the future in each period of history. He thoroughly and incisively evaluates each writer's view of the biblical and theological perspectives on the progress of time and the endtime and transformation of the world into the final age.

Hoekema evaluates four major views of the endtime and "millennium," the plants himself firmly in the traditional ahistorical view generally called amillennial. He wrote this book in 1979. I bought it in 1982 in Nairobi, because I recognized the value of the topic and its writer.

The time frame is the main limitation to the book, since extensive happenings have added to our historical perspective, further supporting the traditional conservative viewpoint of amillennial or versions of that concept of the endtime, from a Christian perspective.

Many good discussions have ensued on this topic, including the feverish new fad of double rapture and the "Left Behind" science fiction cult. in the decades since Hoekema presented this valuable labor to the public. I realized I had never read the book through, and found it a wonderful reward to do so now.

I am glad I grabbed this book when it was available in such a limited locale at the time, and kept it on my shelf for reference all this time. It was a good time to read it for historical perspective on the topic and a satisfying personal read and refresh on the topic, supplementing my ongoing study of the topic of Revelation and the endtimes over the past 18 months. (Written 23 April 2018)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bible and the Future.

Finished Reading