Matthew's Reviews > I Am Malala

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

bookshelves: 2018, audio, biography, non-fiction

These days it seems like our world is a giant game of telephone. Any news story or online gossip you hear is hard to believe because it has been skewed so much since it left the source. It is refreshing and enlightening to hear a story straight from the source - especially on the topic of life in the Middle East which is always quickly demonized in America. By experiencing Malala's story, it gives a true face to the people of Pakistan who are mostly wanting peace and prosperity, not oppression and terror.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who only has views of the world from the news and social media. Seeing how the war on terror in the Middle East was experienced by a child on the front lines is pretty amazing. I thought my teenage drama was hard here in the United States, but what Malala and her countrymen and women went through is humbling. In fact, I think the story of this book can be of value to anyone living today who feels like they are far away from the terror or that they are better than people from other countries. For every terrorist, there are hundreds of people just like us.

5 stars all the way - let's just hope other books like this stop having to be written because people are being terrorized and having their rights threatened. The more people that read this and don't take it with a grain of salt, the closer we will all be to a better world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Malala.

April 22, 2018 – Started Reading
April 22, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
April 22, 2018 –
26.0% "Speech contest"
April 24, 2018 –
54.0% "Education at risk"
April 24, 2018 –
78.0% "Threats and action"
April 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Ginger Great review Matthew! It's been really good so far! I need to finish this one soon since it's been on hold while I've finished up ARCs.

Matthew Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew! It's been really good so far! I need to finish this one soon since it's been on hold while I've finished up ARCs."

Thanks, Ginger! It's just such an amazing and heart-wrenching story.

Ginger Matthew wrote: "Not to simplify her plight, but I try to imagine what it would be like if the types of thing she dealt with happened in the United States - you and I would not be allowed to use the same Goodreads and you probably wouldn't be able to read at all because you would have been expected to to go to school and care for the house and the men instead. It blows my mind! "

I know! I hated reading about how the girls education was discouraged and forbidden.
It made me super sad to read this part!

Matthew Oops! I just realized I left the "Not" off "Go to school" - that is kind of important!

Vanessa Truth! Great review.

Matthew Vanessa wrote: "Truth! Great review."

Thanks, Vanessa!

message 7: by Charlotte (new) - added it

Charlotte Guzman I can tell you felt emotion reading this book and you had a great review!
I haven't read this book yet but it is on my TBR list this year. I also saw a documentary on cable last year on this book and all I could say was "She was called in life to do this very thing." I was almost crying by the end of it. I can't wait to read the book.

Matthew Charlotte wrote: "I can tell you felt emotion reading this book and you had a great review!

Thank you! And, yes, I imagine there are very few people who would not be moved by this story. And, as you said, it sounds like she was put here on earth do go through and do the very things she has done. It is so amazing!

Ashley Awesome review, Matthew!!

Matthew Ashley wrote: "Awesome review, Matthew!!"

Thank you, Ashley! :)

Cecily A much-needed reminder of those who may lead the world to lighter, brighter times. It did leave me with quite a few questions, but hopefully there are many decades ahead in which Malala, after she's finished university, may come to answer them.

Matthew Cecily wrote: "A much-needed reminder of those who may lead the world to lighter, brighter times. It did leave me with quite a few questions, but hopefully there are many decades ahead in which Malala, after she'..."

A good point - I had to remind myself as I was going through this book that she is still very young. Sometimes it is hard to remember how recently non-fiction can happen!

message 13: by George (new)

George Jankovic Great review, Matthew!

Matthew George wrote: "Great review, Matthew!"

Thank you, George!

message 15: by Chandru'sGR (new) - added it

Chandru'sGR I am gonna read this book after reading your review. Marking as WTR!!

Matthew ChandruPersonal wrote: "I am gonna read this book after reading your review. Marking as WTR!!"

Great - I hope you enjoy and find it moving as well.

message 17: by Isabela (last edited May 31, 2019 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabela Hey Matthew! I agree with you all the way. I know, it is better to hear the story straight from the person who lived the experience, and Malala tells it in a way that inspires (at least me) to do something about the ongoing crisis. She is a role model for millions and has a powerful weapon, her voice, that she uses to her and the girls' advantage. Raising it in a country like Pakistan takes bravery and drive, and as the book ends, she becomes stronger and more mature. This led her to win the Nobel Peace Prize and be the creator of a United Nations resolution to ensure the education of every child on Earth. Proud!

Matthew Isabela wrote: "Hey Matthew! I agree with you all the way. I know, it is better to hear the story straight from the person who lived the experience, and Malala tells it in a way that inspires (at least me) to do s..."

Yes! So amazing - I don't think I could be as strong as her in the same situation!

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter Martuneac Malala is very inspiring. I've seen firsthand what day-to-day life looks like in a place controlled by the Taliban, it makes issues here look pretty insignificant in comparison.

Matthew Peter wrote: "Malala is very inspiring. I've seen firsthand what day-to-day life looks like in a place controlled by the Taliban, it makes issues here look pretty insignificant in comparison."

I agree - when you read something like this you realize we have very little to complain about.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I bought a copy of this and am very much looking forward to it. She is an extraordinary young woman and her Dad is different than many. I've heard her speak before on a few different platforms, not in person unfortunately. It's always the regular people that suffer under their government and in war. We always think that life is pretty much the same as ours all over the world, that could not be further from the truth. I find that most, not all, do want a lot of the same things, love, safety, family, a good job and education, unfortunately, it's not easily had in many places. We need to open our minds and hearts to other people and the incredible struggles that they face. Great review!!

Matthew Lisa wrote: "I bought a copy of this and am very much looking forward to it. She is an extraordinary young woman and her Dad is different than many. I've heard her speak before on a few different platforms, not..."

Thanks, Lisa! Yes, I find that it is important to get first hand accounts like this and take them to heart. When you mention that it is usually the governments causing troubles that lead to regular people getting hurt or having opinions about each other, that is so true. I have had encounters with many people from other countries and the stories of oppression and hate are often not about the different people but in how the people are governed.