Hana Jay Klokner's Reviews > The Young Man's Guide

The Young Man's Guide by William A. Alcott

Nov 18, 2011

bookshelves: my-kindle-books, historical, self-development

A book from 1834, The Young Man's Guide is a real gem between historical self-help / self-development books. I stumbled upon it by accident, downloaded the free Kindle edition and found it quite interesting.

The author gives various advice on young men's lives, pretty much any topic you can imagine: from marriage to being neat, on how to behave in society, get an education, run a business, but even such advice as how many meals to eat thorough the day.

While some of the ideas are old-fashioned (like the eating--only three times a day; we all know that five times a day is the "correct" way approved by nutritionists) and many of them are based on Bible and word of God, I found so many points interesting and still very up-to-date.

It's true I skipped some parts of the book, simply because they were boring, but otherwise the writing was easy to read and felt quite fresh. Recommended especially if you're doing some research.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Young Man's Guide.

November 16, 2011 – Started Reading