Laura Floyd's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Nov 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: horror, short-stories
Read from November 18 to December 19, 2011

I love Stephen King's short stories. I figured "long stories" would be right up that alley, but these were a different flavor than any of his shorts I've ever read. They really were dark, brutal in places. I considered giving up after finishing each story, figuring I didn't really need any more of that, but I kept going, because the premise of each story was very intriguing.

I liked the first story the least. The actions of the characters frustrated me, and you could almost feel each new horrible thing looming, which would then happen just so. Coming to the end of that one was just a relief.

Big Trucker was hard to read because of the rape and violation of the main character, but as the character proceeds to track down her molester, the secrets that were revealed bit by bit were very satisfying, rather the opposite of the expected "twists" in the first story.

Fair Extension was a story I expected to go a bit farther. I expected there to be some kind of balance for the man's horrible selfishness, and when it ended, I was rather confused.

I liked the last story quite a lot. I liked it even more after I read King's author's note explaining why he wrote the stories in this collection. "Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances indeed." It was so easy to identify with Darcy, asking myself how I could possibly act in the same situation. I think I read that story hoping that her actions would help give me answers, just in case.

Just in case indeed. Now there's a scary thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

12/02/2011 page 240