Gwen McGinty's Reviews > Fault Lines

Fault Lines by Doug Johnstone

Fault Lines is a novel with secrets as dark as the black sand of The Inch itself.

Set in an alternative Edinburgh where a volcanic island has sprung up in the Firth of Forth, we meet Surtsey, a volcanologist, whose life is about to implode in ways she could never have imagined.

She sets out on her boat to secretly meet her lover, Tom, a married professor. But when she gets to the island of The Inch, their usual meeting spot, hidden from prying eyes, she discovers his body, his head caved in, being eaten by birds.

Panic setting in, she rows herself back to the mainland and tells no one what she saw.

But someone saw her.

“I know you were there”, said the text message.

Like a message from the island itself.

More texts arrive.

Soon her secret is out, and she’s suspected of murder.

Events begin to spiral, and the tension builds as the tremors from the fault line grow stronger and stronger, until the inevitable explosive plot climax.

Surtsey is such a well-written and well-rounded character, that I’d’ve been rooting for her no matter what. She’s sassy, smart, but also vulnerable and sensitive, which is no more evident than in her relationship with her dying mother.

It’s a true thriller, with such cinematic descriptions of people, places and events, that it’s crying out for a tv or film adaptation.

This is the first of Doug Johnstone’s novels I’ve read, and it won’t be the last!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fault Lines.

April 22, 2018 – Started Reading