Robert's Reviews > Alexander Crowley - A New King in Town

Alexander Crowley - A New King in Town by Don Barr

20013173

I received this novel as a gift and it turned out to be a good one. The main character, Alexander Crowley, is the great grandson of the infamous occultist and supposed magician Aleister Crowley. Unlike Aleister, Alex has true magical powers. His most useful one is the ability to mesmerize people and get them to do what he wants them to do. Since Alex is an ethically-challenged scoundrel, he often uses this power to get people to give him money, including card game opponents, cab drivers and little old ladies. He also uses his powers to get out of the trouble he attracts, in the form of ghosts, angels, demons and a vampire. If you’re not familiar with UK slang, you might have to Google a few things characters say in this book. For example, in the opening chapter Alex notes that he needs get out of London for a while and take a vacation to “refresh my batteries before a few of the SE7 scallywags tried to refresh my bollocks with their size tens.” I knew what scallywags and bollocks are, of course, but didn’t know SE7 is an area in London. For his getaway, Alex goes to the beach resort town on the Cornish coast. Once there, he has a series of adventures, each of which has a beginning and end, sort of like self-contained short stories but with threads and characters running through all of them. The characters are well drawn and the stories are set in an interesting location. If I were pitching this novel as a possible movie, I’d say it’s sort of a cross between the DC comics character John Constantine, the Harry Dresden novels, the Harry Flashman novels and Buffy the Vampire Slayer – all of which are things that I like. If you like characters that are scoundrels (but not evil) and adventures involving magic and fantasy, I can heartily recommend this book to you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander Crowley - A New King in Town.

Started Reading