Carol's Reviews > The House I Loved

The House I Loved by Tatiana de Rosnay

Nov 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011

I was eager to read this book because is by the author of 'Sarah's Key', a book that I have been longing to read for such a long time.

The story opens with woman around 60 years old (she kept saying that she is an old woman) who spends most of her time sitting in the basement of the house that she and her husband shared. It was the house that he was born in and had been in the family for a long time. He passed away and she writes letters to him. Out of those letters come her memories of her life. Everything in her life after she married is tied to the house.

Emperor Napoleon III is having the buildings torn down in order to redesign part of Paris so that is more like London. As she sits each day, she hears the destructions sounds coming closer and closer and wonders when it wills this house that is torn down.

In the first few chapters, it seemed the story was spinning and repeating itself, it felt like the story was going nowhere. Then the story finally took off.
I did not feel close to the characters. I wanted to like Rose, the woman sitting in the basement but I could not.

A secret held for 30 years in the house and in her memories comes out but I felt that was a predictable secret.

I wanted to like this book and I see elements that I liked, the physical description of the places were vivid and the chapters short. But at the end I felt it was one gloomy tale. Some of the things that the author has the main character say are intriguing but I have thought of them before.

I invite you to read this book and compare it to what I have just written; maybe you will have different impressions.

I received this book from the Amazon Vine Program and that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House I Loved.

November 18, 2011 – Started Reading
November 18, 2011 – Shelved
November 27, 2011 –
page 52
23.42% "So, far this is disappointing."
November 27, 2011 – Finished Reading
November 28, 2011 –
page 288
November 28, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011

Aroma with Love What was the secret?

Carol You will need to that to find out. But if you can imagine what it could, you will probably be right!