Frank Mikes's Reviews > Junkyard Druid

Junkyard Druid by M.D. Massey

20741380

liked it

This is a pretty good book. I got into this from reading the excellent Iron Druid series from Kevin Hearne, but this series, at least from the first book, seems good too.

The protagonist is young Collin, a druid trained 'champion', one of the chosen to fight supernatural evils in the world. In events that occur before the book, Collin has everything he wants but cruelly, through a curse, has it taken away. So we get a 'hero on hard times' story which progresses through a very nice bit of world building to a satisfying climax.

There are a few faults, and while I'll highlight them here, that risks giving them too much weight as they really don't detract that much from the book. First, despite the 'hero on hard times', Collin has enormous advantages. Great looking women desire him, just about everyone respects him, while he lives in a junkyard - he has things pretty good and he can fight just about anything and expect to win. Second, the book seemed a little short to me. I don't know if I was just expecting more but when I thought I was at about the half-way point, I suddenly found I was 80% through. While this could just indicate that I was really enjoying the book, it did come as a bit of a shock as I thought things were being set up for further events, but they were not. Finally, I thought the mystery solve was just a little easy. I won't give it away, but I thought that a lot more could have been done with this to find the information that leads to solving two of the big reveals of the story.

Despite all of this, the pacing was excellent; the characters were very good with the possible exception of the protagonist; and it was a very easy read with a fair amount of humour successfully interwoven. If you like light Urban Fantasy, this is probably a book you will like and I will certainly be reading more of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junkyard Druid.

April 21, 2018 – Started Reading