Camie's Reviews > The Fall of the Stone City

The Fall of the Stone City by Ismail Kadare

it was ok

"Even before the first shell was fired, Gjirokaster's inhabitants had understood not only the tank's message but the whole situation. The stone city had fired on the German Army's advance guard. Now it would be punished according to the rules of war, which took no account of how cultivated, ancient, or crazy a town might be."
In this translation of Ismail Kadare's book the above mentioned city in Albania which was first invaded by Italy, then Germany, and finally comes under communist rule, becomes an actual character in this story, along with the story of the town surgeon Dr Gurameto.
Seems that at the same time Nazi troops are rounding up hostages Dr. Gurameto has invited their leader Colonel von Schwabe, supposedly an old university classmate, to dine at his house. As things progress the doctor will attempt to try and save the hostages, but the whole encounter will cause consequences as the story continues and his actions are called into question.
I'm sure I needed to have much more knowledge of the conditions in Albania after WWII to understand the satirical and political nature of this short and to me somewhat confusing novel which I read for 21st Century Literature club/ May. 2 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of the Stone City.

April 21, 2018 – Started Reading
April 21, 2018 – Shelved
April 21, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Reading for 21st Century Literature club"
April 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes 2 stars from Camie? Kiss of death.

Camie Lol, see my disclaimer. I've never read a book translated from Albanian or about Albania after WWII. Luckily for my level of understanding , it was short about 160 pages.

message 3: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily I'm sure I needed to have much more knowledge of the conditions in Albania after WWII to understand the satirical and political nature of this short and to me somewhat confusing novel which I read for 21st Century Literature club I'm in the same shoes, Camie.

message 4: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily It did bear too many parallels to current politics for comfort, however.