Rick's Reviews > The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec 2: The Mad Scientist/Mummies on Parade

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec 2 by Jacques Tardi

Nov 17, 2011

bookshelves: comics, horror

Picking up immediately following the events of the first Fantagraphics collection, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec Vol 2 continues the unusual escapades of the novelist title character. In 1912 Paris, Blanc-Sec uncovers plots involving mad scientists, a pithecanthropus (prehistoric ape man), murder, betrayal, and the undead. Though the concepts and action propel the tale, the droll heroine with her asides and astute observations drives these fantastic comics. After a second attempt on her life almost succeeds, Blanc-Sec stands among a train wreckage and declares "I am being taunted!" Tardi frequently breaks down the fourth wall to a humorous effect and his magnificent color art recalls the best of Hergé's TinTin stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec 2.

message 1: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin Thanks for the review--been tempted by the books, but wanted to know about the art first. I adored tin tin in my single digits. I guess I might be asking brother Santa for the first volume.

Rick Noran wrote: "Thanks for the review--been tempted by the books, but wanted to know about the art first. I adored tin tin in my single digits. I guess I might be asking brother Santa for the first volume."

Anything by Tardi is worth a read. He's brilliant.