Carrie Kellenberger's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

2048986

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction, favorites

The Night Circus is an unforgettable book about a traveling night circus called Le Cirque des Rêves that has no particular plan for traveling and it arrives in locations without any sudden announcements or warnings. Its black-and-white striped tents are full of magic and incredible things, and it attracts reveurs from all over the world - all identified by the bright red accessories they wear to mark them as regular visitors.

The story is actually about the life of this circus and the magic at the heart of it. The characters are secondary, but at the heart of this story is a living, breathing circus that seems to come alive on the pages. It's also not a real circus that you'd expect to see today. Yes, there are all the aspects you'd find at a circus, but the real circus is actually the part of this act where magic is passed off as illusion. It looks like magic, but the magicians make it seem like it is an illusion and not real magic.

Behind the curtains of these tents are two young magicians at war. Celia and Marco have been training since childhood to fight their final battle that was devised for them by their instructors before they were old enough to know what they were getting into. Only one of them can win and the stage is set, with the circus being the battle ground for incredible feats of magic and imagination.

Of course, Celia and Marco fall head over heels in love with each other and they don't truly understand the rules of the game they've been locked into. They believe there is a way out of this battle and they are sure, with all their magical skills, that they can find a way to be together.

The game won't change, though, and only one of them can be the victor. The other will die.

Despite knowing these odds, Celia and Marco cannot help their growing love. Rooms grow warmer and lights begin to flicker with the merest brush of their hands. They create magical rooms for each other that are testimonies to their love, and the reveurs all benefit from this because, of course, these rooms are set within the circus and are entertainment for all and not just for our two young lovers.

The Night Circus has an incredible array of characters and I'd love to learn more about all the people in the circus. I think Morgenstern could take this story even further and write about the twins, the contortionist, and all the other amazing characters in this story. There are endless possibilities to continue this series.

The book reads like magic with stunning descriptions of settings and events. It's a beautiful book that will leave you feeling heavy with whimsy and wanting more. The Night Circus was one of my favorite books in 2018. It's going to be hard to whittle my book list down to my top 12 favorite reads of 2018, but I'm quite certain The Night Circus will be on that list.

Best Takeaway Quotes:

“Secrets have power. And that power diminishes when they are shared, so they are best kept and kept well. Sharing secrets, real secrets, important ones, with even one other person, will change them. Writing them down is worse, because who can tell how many eyes might see them inscribed on paper, no matter how careful you might be with it. So it's really best to keep your secrets when you have them, for their own good, as well as yours.”
― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

“Life takes us to unexpected places sometimes. The future is never set in stone, remember that.”
― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

“Only the ship is made of books, its sails thousands of overlapping pages, and the sea it floats upon is dark black ink.”
― Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

November 17, 2011 – Shelved
November 4, 2018 – Started Reading
November 8, 2018 –
76.0% "Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. The Night Circus will either appeal to you or it won't. I don't think there's any 'in between' for it."
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 8, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 29, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Carrie Kellenberger This is going to end up as a top book this year. I love it.