Arthur's Reviews > Fire on the Mountain

Fire on the Mountain by P.D. Singer

Nov 17, 2011

You are gay. You are a fire ranger who is basically in the middle of nowhere in the mountain area in Colorado. Worse, you are stationed in a small cabin with this sexy, smart man who is your 'mentor'. Two of you are in the confine of the cabin 24/7, with only once-per-week trip to a nearby small town. What would you do?

That's what Jake feels when he's stationed with Kurt. Everyday contacts with the other man has driven him crazy. Kurt is his mentor and his friend, but Jake really wants him to also be his lover. Unfortunately, Jake is aware that any move on his part might end in disastrous result. So, he keeps his feeling with himself, even though he feels the pang of jealousy whenever the town' single women flirt with Kurt. While Kurt has never stayed with any of those women, perhaps because of his kindness, he never flatly rejected them either. He's only avoiding them. Just when Jake almost cannot stand his urge anymore, a disaster happens. One that would change their lives together. That is, if they survive.

I really enjoyed reading this book, including the earlier part. The 'mundane' everyday interactions between them basically give us a glimpse of their lives through Jake's eyes. Some readers might feel bored that for almost half of the book nothing really happens. I, on the other hand, enjoy reading such simplicity. It builds the feeling of their closeness that is the foundation of what would happen on the second part. Kurt's first action toward Jake is a bit surprising, but I guess it's understandable. (view spoiler) I also like the characters. Yes, they have their doubts, but they don't flee from the situation.

Such a sweet (without giving you toothache) story that give you a warm feeling (beside the fires in the story, of course).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire on the Mountain.

10/18/2017 marked as: read