melissa1lbr's Reviews > Alanna: The First Adventure

Alanna by Tamora Pierce

bookshelves: audio, classics, young-adult, favorites

Things I Liked:
What a delight - why didn't I read this sooner? I adore Alanna, her toughness and her inflexibility. I love how she fought so hard for the things she wanted and how that was both good and bad. She made the whole book enjoyable, and I'd have loved her even if the story hadn't been intriguing (which it was). I loved the group of boys she meets and all the things they do together, including fight. It was a perfect fantasy featuring the girl-dressing-as-a-boy motif, which can sometimes be cliched but was excellent in this instance. Magic, squires, evil forces, a prince, a thief (chases, escapes, true love, etc): a great combination to make this series a new favorite. Listening to it on audio was excellent as well, mostly because hearing the intonations of her voice made the Alanna even more real to me - kudos to the narrator.

Things I Didn't Like:
It was pretty short for the number of years that passed in the book. Which is to say, I wanted more about Alanna and Jonathan and George. Good thing there are more books in the series.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alanna.

Started Reading