Leelo's Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

When my library put their list of new books out for the month, I just ordered a few that seemed like I might be interested in them. I’m so glad that I did!

I started reading it knowing only that it was a coming of age story and that she was interested in music. I didn’t even really read the back so I was really surprised by the events that unfolded.

I think a lot of teen books will inflate certain activities like having crushes, having sex, losing friends, etc to be absolutely dramatic and soul crushing happenings. And while that’s sometimes the case, I really felt like reading this book was a breath of fresh air. Now while there are moments where the MC loses her temper, I never felt it was melodramatic or over the top. It felt appropriate even when I didn’t like what the character was doing. Who likes it when you yell unfair things? Nobody. But does it happen? Yes.

Minor spoilers: I also liked the way Smetana ended the book. She didn’t wrap everything up in a neat little bow. Choices were made and things were lost. And that’s okay. That’s what life is. And that’s what sets this book above others. This book isn’t necessarily about her relationship with anyone else, even her mother, arguably not even her father. It’s truly about realizing the truth contained inside you and being okay with the choices and the mistakes you’ve made. I really fucking needed this book exactly at this moment in my life. The last piece of advice the MC shares with us that her father said? Devastating. Absolutely devastated me and I wrote it down to remember.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

April 18, 2018 – Started Reading