Jeff Glovsky's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

I went in a little bit unconvinced here... Admittedly put off at first by the casual, street corner 'latino' voice ("Players: never never never f*ck with a bitch named Awilda", readers of all stripes and gender are warned), and the overarching theme of nerdism, which is the title character's bag, but has never been mine.

The more I read, though, the more I realized I couldn't stop reading... The voice, one of urgency; all the fantasy sci-fi stuff -- the 'nerdism' -- balanced, and well, by a family, a culture, a country's history.

What the book didn't do well enough, I thought, was relate the life story of Oscar Wao himself. The King Nerd Title (Non)Player - a "Brief" life, perhaps. But "Wondrous"? I didn't get that, from reading.

To me, the compelling, truly page-turning (indeed, wondrous) lives recounted were those of Oscar's grandfather, Abelard, and mother, Belicia: geneses of the fukú'd Familia Cabral, under the DR's brutal and generation-spanning Trujillo nightmare. These life stories and vignettes of horror were grippingly told... Only for the spells to be broken by revisits to sad, modern-day Oscar and his devoted sister, Lola - "wondrous" too, I'm sure (we're told). But from reading, I just didn't feel Lola like the main narrator / author obviously did.

Small quibbles with a powerful book about tragedy, fortitude, luck and destiny... and in the end, freedom.

To choose what's inevitable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Finished Reading