Elizabeth's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Nov 17, 2011

bookshelves: new-england, new-york, fiction, france
Read from November 17 to 21, 2011

Quiet and simple, this book grew on me. Actually, it mades me rethink my (embarrassing!) decision to abandon Middlesex a couple years ago.

Now that I've had some time to mull over this book, I think it might be one of my favorites this year. Basically, it's a story of a love

Of the three characters, Mitchell was definitely my favorite. I liked how introspective he was and interested in turning his inner turmoil into positive action. Even though he thought he failed, I found him endearing and self aware. Eugenides' portrayal of Bankhead was also powerful. Mental illness is a complex and troubling disease--also for the people who live alongside those who suffer from it. I think the fact that I was uncomfortable as I read about Madeline and Leonard's toils is a testament to his crystalline characterization.

A very satisfying read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.

Quotes Elizabeth Liked

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The more she thought about it, the more Madeleine understood that extreme solitude didn't just describe the way she was feeling about Leonard. It explained how she'd always felt when she was in love. It explained what love was like and, just maybe, what was wrong with it.”
Jeffrey Eugenides, The Marriage Plot

Denise really! I was planning on it next

Elizabeth ReadingGal6 wrote: "really! I was planning on it next"

All in all, it's very good. Go for it!