Amy's Reviews > The Burning Air

The Burning Air by Erin Kelly

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read April 19, 2018 to April 20, 2018.

Its a 2.5 star novel.
The style of writing didn't sit right with me. The beginning was most confusing part. Yeah it's a mystery novel but seriously you need to be coherent, I could get easily what the writer was trying initially. The character Darcy was confusing, for a long time I couldn't get the gender. I was not the only one it seems who had the problem. Then there were lots of details of the place, the house , the road lots of details that didn't have any weight on the story itself, what was the point of all those details?
The next thing that pulled down it's worth was MacBride family. They painted out as the victims. Sure they go through a lot because of unhinged behaviour of Darcy but they come out as entitled and privileged people with clanish mentality. Everyone is shielded from the dark deeds that the matriach has done. It may not seem big but really I couldn't see what was stopping Rowan from trying to help that little boy, not a scholarship but a medical treatment or some sort of support system, afterall he went through his file and just left it at that, he was in a position to help, but he didn't. Even in the end, the cowardly way he handles everything, so much for hollow values. The law is again portrayed in a dismal way, prejudiced and breakable.
Darcy is a character burning in revenge but with no clear sense.All the other characters felt shallow.At one point Darcy comments on how MacBride children had no value for their scholarship and had taken some of their life for granted and Darcy didn't sound wrong; Yeah when you see reason in such unhinged character point of view you realise the book is a disappointment.
Kerry is another character that had some potential but the writer mainly used her as an eye candy and a person to bear MacBride families collective glare. It's only in the end that we get to see her thoughts. I didn't feel much at that point of time, the conflict she felt should have been narrated in the middle portion, not after the danger is out of the way.
The ending was a complete disappointment.
The one thing that kept going for this novel was the pace and the big reveal in the end.That was not very shocking. The only shock I got was when who is Darcy is revealed, that was good but again the timing is wrong, we come to know that too early, if it had been held back and revealed towards the end it would have more punch and some tension in the narrative.
Overall ok read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Air.

Finished Reading