Morgan's Reviews > Romero

Romero by Elizabeth Reyes

bookshelves: 3-stars, 4-stars

Romero is the latest novel in the Moreno Brothers series by Elizabeth Reyes. Romero has been around since the beginning of this series. He grew up around Angel (Forever Mine) and Sal (Making You Mine), and his two best friends are Alex (Always Been Mine) and Eric (Sweet Sofie). Since the first novel in this series, Romero has been my least favorite character. His lewd remarks, his filthy language, and his tough guy act have bugged me. (Sometimes I find these characteristics intriguing, but they never really worked for Romero.) Having said all of that, I really enjoyed Romero. I know, crazy right? I put this novel off for almost a month because I wasn’t that excited about it. I planned on reading it at some point because I love the Moreno Brother series and this novel is an important part of the series, but I didn’t have high expectations for this novel. I only expected it be okay. Well, surprise, surprise! I really, really enjoyed this novel.

Romero wasn’t a saint in this novel, but he really worked on all of the things that drive me crazy about his character- his language, his crass remarks, and his attitude. There was a huge change in his character from the previous novels to this one. Plus, instead of watching him put a tough guy act on for his friends, I felt like I got to know the real Romero.

I really enjoyed the romance between Romero and Izzy. Their relationship was sweet, but also challenging. Izzy’s family doesn’t approve of Romero, especially her sister Kat. Kat causes quite a few problems between Romero and Izzy, and instead of taking the hits as they come, Romero and Izzy muck things up even more.

I do have one complaint about this novel, and it’s this: Romero was a little too possessive. It’s a difficult line. How possessive is too possessive? I’m not sure exactly what makes it too much. I like it when characters are a little bit protective/possessive. However, Romero’s temper combined with his possessiveness was too much. I know that he would NEVER hurt Izzy, but I don’t think that he should control her either. There were a few times where his jealousy was scary and overwhelming.

I can’t wait to read Making You Mine, Sal’s story, which is published December 2011. We knew who the love interests were going to be in Always Been Mine, Sweet Sofie, and Romero. Making You Mine will be the first novel since Forever Mine that is a complete surprise. Not to mention, Sal is quiet, mysterious, and sexy. I can’t wait to see what goes on in the eldest Moreno Brother’s mind.

I gave Romero by Elizabeth Reyes 4 STARS (3.5 STARS). I strongly recommend this novel and this companion series.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romero.

November 17, 2011 – Shelved
November 21, 2011 – Started Reading
November 21, 2011 – Shelved as: 3-stars
November 21, 2011 – Shelved as: 4-stars
November 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Melissa Love this series, and Romero is such an awesome character!