Nicole's Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

Jun 25, 2007

Recommended for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina

I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhere between books 10 and 11). Each book is close to 1000 pages. I think the last six books have taken place over the book plot timeline of about a month. Seriously. One or two books may have only covered a day or two. No lie.

The books start off with just 4-5 main characters...but over time I think there become closer to 20. And everyone rates their own storyline. As the books stand now, I think almost everyone is in a completely different country on a different mission. It can get confusing for those not quite looking for that sort of depth.

Nonetheless...once you get far enough in the series you'll keep going. If for no other reason than you feel obligated. At this point, all those of us who've kept us are just praying that Robert Jordan doesn't die before finishing the series because there are so many plot lines left untied.

For those serious about fantasy fiction, these books are somewhat of a right of passage. A necessary evil.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.

Started Reading
January 1, 2005 – Finished Reading
June 25, 2007 – Shelved

Christina I think that last comment is exactly right - a necessary evil. That's what they are - and you have to read them even though you know going in that they will probably disappoint you sooner or later...

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Carvalloza Spot on!

Bard At the end Jordan died. :(

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Brandon Sanderson was hand picked by Jordan's wife to finish the series. He has written two books: The Gathering Storm and The Tower of Midnight. :)

April Ann Jordan passed away in 2007

Kylie I started reading these books as a teenager when they first came out and got my Dad hooked! By the time the final (most recent) one was published I hadn't read the last three and when I tried to pick up again, I honestly had a lot of trouble remembering who was who (apart from the initial cast). But, like you said, you feel obliged to I'm reading them over from the start. Hard with small kids and work to squeeze in time, but I'll get there! ;)