destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Come Tumbling Down

#2 Down Among the Sticks and Bones ★★★★★
#3 Beneath the Sugar Sky ★★★★★
#4 In An Absent Dream ★★★★★
#5 Come Tumbling Down ★★★★★

Hope is a vicious beast. It sinks in its claws and it doesn't let go.

I've come to realize that I seem to start every Wayward Children review the same way: by gushing about how, no matter how much I think I already adore Seanan, this latest book has made me love her even more. Well, I'm sorry to be repetitive, but I'm really not sorry at all, because yet again, this series has wholly blown me away. In fact, I think Come Tumbling Down may just be my favorite yet.

The gates slammed shut behind them with remarkable speed, and everything was quiet, and Christopher knew, with absolute certainty, that not all of them were going to make it home.

Come Tumbling Down takes us back to the world of The Moors, which is probably my very favorite world in all of the doors; with its terrifying beasties and strange scales of balance between them, coupled with its oceanic dark gods and the idea of death as a temporary thing, nothing in this series has made my little horror-loving heart quite so proud. There's an eerie vibe to the atmosphere in this installment that is never scary but always borderline unsettling in the most delightful ways.

Whatever they might have become when they'd been cast out of their chosen homes, they'd been heroes once, each in their own ways. And they did not forget.

Of course, if all we talked about was my love for The Moors, it would do a tremendous disservice to the pure reverence I feel for Seanan's masterful character-building. The poor lost souls in this series are, as far as I'm concerned, an absolute gift to the world, in this installment most of all. The cast is as effortlessly and wondrously diverse as usual, between Jack's OCD (own-voices rep, at that), the precious sapphic representation, not one but two gorgeous and brilliant fat girls, and more. As usual, it's all approached with such genuine care and thought that it's impossible to miss how much Seanan wants readers to see themselves in her story, and as a reader who saw myself in many of these characters, I'm endlessly grateful for it.

Jack laughed. It wasn't a happy sound, not exactly; it was the sound of someone clinging to the last vestiges of sanity and stability with all their might. It was the sound of slipping.

Beyond waxing on for ages about how much I needed and loved and cherished and adored every moment of this adventure, this time with these characters in this fantastic and twisted world, and telling you that Seanan's narrative voice is my absolute favorite in the world... I'm not sure there's much more I can say here without branching out into murky, spoiler-filled territories. Instead, I'll tell you that I think this series holds everything magical about the world of SFF stories, and that time you spend in Seanan's worlds is never time poorly spent, and that if there were any single series I could convince any of my friends and followers to pick up, it would be this one. I'm so ecstatic that there are at least 3 more novellas on the way, and I truly hope they sell well enough that Tor.com will allow this series to go on much longer, because I can't imagine ever getting tired of the Wayward Children.

All quotes come from an advance copy and may not match the final release. Thank you so much to Tor.com for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Tumbling Down.

April 18, 2018 – Shelved
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: fat-rep
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: shorts-and-novellas
January 7, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Jenna (Falling Letters) omg this makes me so excited. can't wait til my copy comes in!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Jenna wrote: "omg this makes me so excited. can't wait til my copy comes in!!"

I hope you love it!!

message 3: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine The fourth book is my favorite so far, I can't wait to have this one! I have really high hopes since it's the last book (I'm gonna miss this series so much...)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Catherine wrote: "The fourth book is my favorite so far, I can't wait to have this one! I have really high hopes since it's the last book (I'm gonna miss this series so much...)"

The fourth one was my favorite until this one, too! And omg, it's not ending! Haha you're not alone in thinking that, I've had SO MANY people say things to me lately about how sad they are that it's ending, but Seanan has confirmed (and re-confirmed just a few days ago) that Tor.com has already approved a few more books and they're open to letting her continue even past those as long as these keep selling well!

message 5: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Catherine wrote: "The fourth book is my favorite so far, I can't wait to have this one! I have really high hopes since it's the last book (I'm gonna miss this series so much...)"

The fourth one wa..."

OMG, this is amazing! ❤️❤️❤️
Thank you so much for the good news!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Catherine wrote: "destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Catherine wrote: "The fourth book is my favorite so far, I can't wait to have this one! I have really high hopes since it's the last book (I'm gonna miss this series so much...)..."

Haha you're welcome!!! I'm glad I could cheer you up about it! 😂💖

message 7: by Olga (new)

Olga Zelenova I think 2020 will be the year I read all five one after the other.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Olga wrote: "I think 2020 will be the year I read all five one after the other."

Please do! :D

message 9: by Cassie Lola (new)

Cassie Lola (holo.reader) I need this book SO BAD!!! I'm trying to hold off on buying any new books til at least next month since I got so many for Christmas, but it pains me 'cause I just know I'm gonna LOVE this one!!

message 10: by Ellen Gail (new)

Ellen Gail Every time I see one of your reviews for this series, I am reminded yet again that I need to get to it! I love Seanan McGuire and I already have the first book, so I have no excuse at this point!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Cassie Lola wrote: "I need this book SO BAD!!! I'm trying to hold off on buying any new books til at least next month since I got so many for Christmas, but it pains me 'cause I just know I'm gonna LOVE this one!!"

Ahhh, I don't think anyone could fault you if you make an exception for this one! 😂💖

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Ellen Gail wrote: "Every time I see one of your reviews for this series, I am reminded yet again that I need to get to it! I love Seanan McGuire and I already have the first book, so I have no excuse at this point!"

I hope you love the series! 😍

message 13: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Great review, Destiny!! I’m seriously so excited for this book. #2 is my favorite in the series so far, and I need more Jack ASAP 😊😊

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Mark wrote: "Great review, Destiny!! I’m seriously so excited for this book. #2 is my favorite in the series so far, and I need more Jack ASAP 😊😊"

Thank you! Oh man, Mark, if you loved #2 I have a strong feeling you'll love #5 just as much, if not more. Jack really stole the show in this one!

message 15: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Mark wrote: "Great review, Destiny!! I’m seriously so excited for this book. #2 is my favorite in the series so far, and I need more Jack ASAP 😊😊"

Thank you! Oh man, Mark, if you loved #2 I have a..."

Oh yes, I loved it so much I emailed Seanan McGuire to thank her for writing it, haha! And she actually replied, which further proves she is a super cool person who cares about her fans 😊. Based on what you’ve said, I’m (somehow) even more excited for this book now...keep up the amazing reviews, Destiny, your passion for books really shines through! ❤️

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Mark wrote: "destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Mark wrote: "Great review, Destiny!! I’m seriously so excited for this book. #2 is my favorite in the series so far, and I need more Jack ASAP 😊😊"

Thank you! Oh man, Mark, if y..."

That's so awesome! She really is the greatest. Awww, thank you so much, you're so kind! ☺💖