C.G. Drews's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

bookshelves: 5-star, adult, contemporary, read-2019, best-of-2019, audio-books, read-2020, reread
Read 2 times. Last read March 31, 2020 to April 10, 2020.

This book is hilarious, thoughtful and devastatingly heartfelt. Like I just really really enjoyed reading this?! I've been struggling to focus on books lately, but dude I stayed up very late reading this -- and also possibly sprained a rib from laughing so much. But perfect banter and adorable romance...what really took me was how heartfelt the book was, the characters were. It's a story about being brave enough to admit you are worth fighting for, for wanting things, and for chasing after those things. And thathit me in all sorts of emotional ways.

So basically the president's son and the prince of England have an unofficial rivalry... which leads to a crush and a surprise-attack kiss and the very smack-in-the-face realisation that they've loved each other for a long long time. UGH IT WAS ADORABLE. It was also a lot of sex, lol, which reminded me why I stick to YA mostly. But I just loved how the romance was handled. There's angst yes, but their main issues was them vs the world...instead of angsty do-you-love-me-do-you-not which I am Not Fond Of. So thank you for that. Also I just ship these two idiots 😭Alex is 21 and doesn't even know he's bi and Henry is 23 and living so deeply undercover because the British Crown is not allowed to be gay, that he believes he doesn't even deserve to be happy. I just...these two. (Also their second kiss-scene? lmao.)

also it was refreshing to read about Alex still figuring out his sexuality. His crisis was hilarious and endearing and relatable ajfkdslad and I just loved him. He's so brash and 10/10 to the moment where he stands in front of the palace swearing at Henry to come talk to him. Like THIS KID. Alex is an explosion, a mess, a heartfelt and emotional fire. Henry is stillness and smooth smiles and he's like a shot bullet, unchangeable, when he gets going.

And a moment for June and Nora. Henry's sister and best friend respectively. Like they were the best, so clever, and the kind of women I love reading about. And give me the spin-off where they fall in love, u cowards, i need it.

The politics part? I have no idea what's going on. No idea. All the politics scenes were pretty much lost on me, but I did like how driven and intelligent all the characters were. (It just made me feel like Gansey from The Raven Cycle would be at home with this lot ok.)

I can't even with how hilarious it was. The banter was perfect and the quips were absolutely the best and I JUST. LOVED. THE. DIALOGUE.

And look, it's definitely a sweet book with lots of fluffy scenes. Which I loved. (Although I could never relax, I always thought they'd get busted.) But it also touches on so many deeper topics: closeted queerness and actually how damaging that is to you, it explores what it is to be bi, it talks about oppression for women (specifically in politics) and for POC (Alex and June are biracial Mexican). And books always rob my heartbeat when they are about people who will fight for each other and their love. I turned into a sap in my old age, i shall not apologise.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧ from the author's note:
What I hoped to do, and what I hope I have done with this book by the time you've finished it, my dear reader: to be the spark of joy and hope you needed.

Succeeded 1000%. I'm crying and my heart is so full. 😭

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Casey McQuiston
“That's the choice. I love him, with all that, because of all that. On purpose. I love him on purpose.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

April 17, 2018 – Shelved
April 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 19, 2019 – Started Reading
March 21, 2019 –
40.0% "to be clear this is absolutely adorable and hilarious and i have laughed out loud so many times i strained a rib"
March 23, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
April 10, 2020 – Shelved as: audio-books
April 10, 2020 – Shelved as: read-2020
April 10, 2020 – Shelved as: reread
April 10, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Carlton I'm so excited to read this!!

Amelia Wait, is this not YA?

Laura Herondale Ughhhh I need this book, like, yesterday. So glad you enjoyed it though :))

message 4: by faith ✨ (new) - added it

faith ✨ Amelia wrote: "Wait, is this not YA?"

Not the one this was directed to, but yeah it's New Adult

Amelia faith ❀ wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Wait, is this not YA?"

Not the one this was directed to, but yeah it's New Adult"

oof i didn't know that??

Ceridwenn I want the spin-off too 😃

Jenn Awesome RV!

I love this book so much and for some reason there seemed to Be less sex and less politics the second time around. You worried about the boys getting busted, I read this the first time constantly worried about ME getting busted - there were a few times that I wondered if it was appropriate for me to read it around my young kids... sitting in the corner with a blush creeping up my neck...

(Ps, *Alex’s sister and best friend)