Jessica's Reviews > Circe

Circe by Madeline Miller

Glitters with Magic and Love

I’ve been waiting for Circe since I closed the endpapers of The Song of Achilles. Miller has the expert’s eye and a storyteller’s touch - a female storyteller at that, which makes her remarkable among the other writers and rewriters of the classic Greek tales.

Here, her gifts are used in telling the story of Circe, child of Helios and one of the lesser gods, the first witch of the world. She spins a tale of bravery, gullibility, fear and courage; she tells the tale of a goddess who has the heart of a mortal. I don’t want to give anything away and thus ruin Miller’s spellbinding tales, but it’s not a spoiler to say that I was astounded by the ways in which Miller was able to imbue her heroine with the same human frailties and fears as those of us mere mortals: the love of a mother, the burning shame of disgrace, the slow and fast at once finding of ones identity and center, the ways in which we all reach for more than perhaps we know, the giddy ness of losing ones fear and with it, the donning of grace and gratitude.

Circe’s tales are big, and they’re writ large here. And yet they feel so real and common even as they burn with a strange fire.

Miller deserves to be mentioned among the greats. I look forward to her next creation with excitement and of course more than a little adoration.
Give yourself the beautiful opportunity to see Circe as she has never been seen. Read this book right away!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circe.

Started Reading
April 17, 2018 – Shelved
April 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kathy Jessica, I just finished listening to Song of Achilles on your recommendation. It was fabulous! Thanks for the recommendation - and your were right about the narrator too.

Kathy Have you read Galatea? I want more Madeline Miller. :o)