Sharon Huether's Reviews > The Pianist: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-1945

The Pianist by Władysław Szpilman

bookshelves: holocaust, wwii, biography

Wladyslaw Szpilman was a pianist in Warsaw Poland for the Polish Radio from 1945 to 1963. He also played on the Radio program before WWll.
He and his parents, brother and sisters lived in the Jewish ghetto. His family all were captured and sent to the exterminations camps.
Wladyslaw spent most of his time hiding in different flats in the ghetto. He had counted 30 times that soldiers had entered his flat. He often hid in the attic.
Near the end of the war he was befriended by a German officer who asked him to play the piano. He played Chopin for him. The officer left him bread and jam and a mens coat and an elderdown blanket.
After the war he was able to make contact with the officers family to show his gratitude.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pianist.

April 17, 2018 – Started Reading
April 19, 2018 – Shelved as: holocaust
April 19, 2018 – Shelved as: wwii
April 19, 2018 – Shelved as: biography
April 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Pamela I'm hoping my library has a copy of this book, it sounds quite good. Thanks, Sharon!

Pamela Yes....I thought this book sounded quite good - and familiar. I read it a long while back and loved it. Simply, the covers were different and I didn't recognize it at first.

Sharon Huether A movie was made from this book several years ago. Adrian Brodie stared in it. The ending in the book was much better than the movie.