Kathryn's Reviews > Two Steps Forward

Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion

bookshelves: 2018, adult-fiction, australian-author, contemporary-fiction, mainstream-fiction

I have heard about the Camino walk because a friend's husband walked much of it, I heard an interview about it on the radio by another person who walked it, so when Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion and Anne Buist presented itself, I opened it and started reading with interest. I have no desire to walk it myself but I was very happy to vicariously experience it this way.

It is described in acknowledgements at the end of the book as a mature-age love story, and it is, but so much more. It is about challenge - physical challenge for sure, ouch all that walking and all those blisters. The challenge of being by yourself, facing difficulties sometimes in life or death situations. The challenge of walking with others and hitting off them and sometimes eventually losing your sharp edges.

The walk is an invitation to go inwards and discover who you are, what you are made of? It gives you a change to examine your life so far, the emotions, the things facing you now. It breaks you open, it questions you.

There are two main characters - each chapter alternatively told between Martin and Zoe. I came to love them both and to be honest it was with regret that I closed the book and let them go. I loved how Zoe really came into herself, it was wonderful to watch. Martin took a little longer but the lessons he learned so important and most likely apply to us all.

There were many other pilgrims along the way, as well those who ran the hostels and places where the pilgrims stayed. The description of the walk was very real, the places so well described. As both authors have walked the walks of Zoe and Martin it rang with authenticity.

I started this book with a little caution, I finished it with a gratefulness for the experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Steps Forward.

April 17, 2018 – Shelved