Olivia's Reviews > You Asked for Perfect

You Asked for Perfect by Laura  Silverman

bookshelves: arc

[E-ARC provided by Netgalley. This doesn’t affect my opinion or the content of my review.]

”I think of all my classmates, bent over textbooks, shoulders strained under heavy backpacks, eyes hooded from lack of sleep. We’re all in it together, whether we want to be or not.”

[Quote from the e-ARC.]

After reading and enjoying Girl Out of Water in 2017, I had high hopes for this novel. I’m happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

At its core, You Asked For Perfect is the deeply relatable story of Ariel, a high school senior striving to be valedictorian and to get accepted into Harvard. Even as someone who took only one AP class, I could really relate to Ariel’s struggles and the descriptions of the burdens the school system placed in students’ shoulders.

The novel also features a close-knit Jewish family, a diverse cast of side characters, adorable dogs, an aspiring band, supportive friends, Harry Potter references, and an m/m romance — Ariel is bisexual, though I don’t think Amir’s identity is stated. Regardless, I loved it all.

One of my favorite aspects of the novel was that the characters were clearly flawed. By that I mean that many characters made mistakes and spent time having to make up for them. The best way to describe it, in my opinion, is unapologetically teenager, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. We tend to think with our hearts and make impulsive decisions without thinking of how it might affect those around us, only to feel guilty later. I could relate to this.

Ariel and Amir are such a cute, completely dorky couple, and I ship them so much. It was a bit of a slow-burn, hinted at in early chapters, and that first kiss! *chef kiss* Amazing.

Other things I like include the friendship between Ariel and Amir’s families, Ariel’s relationship with his little sister Rachel, Ariel’s quirky AP English teacher Mrs. Rainer, and the thoughtful conversations Ariel has with Rabbi Solomon.

You Asked For Perfect is the second novel by Silverman that I enjoyed, and she’s quickly moving toward a spot on my favorite authors list. I look forward to seeing what she does next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Asked for Perfect.

April 17, 2018 – Shelved
April 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2019 – Started Reading
January 15, 2019 –
20.0% "omg I blinked and I’m almost a quarter of the way through."
January 15, 2019 –
36.0% "this is so easy & very quick. also sadly relatable."
January 16, 2019 –