Nicole M. Hewitt's Reviews > Circle of Shadows

Circle of Shadows by Evelyn Skye

This book has an intriguing magic system where the characters can take on animal characteristics, but the villains have learned to use magic for even more fantastical (and villainous) purposes. Because of this, Sora finds herself right in the middle of a fight for the very soul of her kingdom. Family members are pitted against each other and magic is pushed to its limits as Sora and her friends race to defend the kingdom from the empress's brother, who seems to be somehow gaining the support of the people of Kichona, despite his evil deeds. The empress's brother believes he's doing what's best for Kichona, even if it requires sacrifice---I always love a villain with shades of gray. The story is told from multiple perspectives, including Sora's partner (through a special magical bond)---there's a bit of a romance there, but I'll confess that was my least favorite part of the book. There are also a few twists and turns that take the story in a surprising direction---it will be interesting to see where Skye goes with them in book two!

***Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher via Edelweiss. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Shadows.

April 17, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read