Jessi's Reviews > Last Night

Last Night by Karen  Ellis

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-releases, 2019, netgalley-arc, series-in-progress

I really liked how the story started with focus on Glynnie and Crisp. Their relationship buds in an unusual way and it was interesting reading about them side by side in the same chapters. I appreciated how the chapters showcased both points of view without clunky headers or devoting an entirely new chapter just to change point of view. It was interesting seeing their side of the story first, as opposed to following the detective first.

I wanted to get to know Lex a bit more. He seemed to have an interesting life but the story rarely followed him home, which is what I appreciate in my detective stories. He did have some family drama with his brother and mainly with his boyfriend Adam, but other than that I didn’t feel like his story dug deep enough for me to really get to know him.

The case itself wasn’t as mysterious or thrilling as I expected, mainly because both points of view are shared from beginning to end. Crisp and Glynnie would further their story and the next chapter would show Lex and his team working to catch up. I liked the cat and mouse feel but because I knew what the missing kids were up to it didn’t have as much tension as more traditional thrillers or mysteries do.

Overall this was a good read. I liked the pace and it was interesting to follow both sides of the case at once. While the alternating points of view sort of gave away the tension, there were unexpected twists and interesting characters. I wish it dug into the detective’s point of view more as this is what I most remember enjoying about book one, but after reading this I am interested in the next installment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night.

April 17, 2018 – Shelved