Tracy Bock's Reviews > The Whole Bright Year

The Whole Bright Year by Debra Oswald

63952035

A single mum, hard working Celia - running a stone fruit orchard- is mother to Zoe, a caring, passionate, intelligent, focused teenager. While reading Debra Oswald’s ‘The Whole Bright Year’ I sat back and contemplated while sipping on my @duejolly Rosé- having just been blessed with our adorable granddaughter- I suddenly thought oh wow! What does my daughter have ahead of her! She now has her own daughter, and I’m thinking just like my girl- intelligent, caring, feisty, loving, curious, empathetic, enquiring- the list of my daughter’s attributes is endless- she is also a talented musician and the most amazing teacher- can you tell how much I love this beautiful person- which she is totally inside and out. Oh yeah I was writing this book review From my take this lovely story is about how much a parent loves their child and how much they want to protect them. It also reminds me of my elder sister- the eldest daughter and third eldest of 9 kids. My ‘Sis’ was amazing; yeah I may have washed the dishes and stirred the copper full of nappies (younger readers may need to google ‘coppers’) not to be confused with police. But my Sis was the 2IC who took charge when Mum and Dad were otherwise occupied. I feel there is a beautiful tribute to siblings looking after their younger siblings- and the helplessness of parents just trying to do the right thing coming up against teenagers who rightly want to forge ahead with their own lives- but also wanting their parents’ love without the parental restraint. This book takes you back to the 1970’s ... sorry Mum and dad - I get it now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whole Bright Year.

April 8, 2018 – Started Reading