Aaron Gertler's Reviews > Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way: A Novel

Way of the Warrior Kid by Jocko Willink

Ignore the derpy political reviews. This isn't really a political book (it does say a lot of nice things about Navy SEALs, but given the author's history, I think that's acceptable).

Imagine Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but if Greg Heffley learned things and grew as a character. This book is weirdly inspiring in its simplicity: If you want to get better at learning things, you can use flashcards, and if you want to get stronger, you can use chin-ups, and if you want to be lazy, you should remember that is usually isn't all that satisfying in the end.

Should be read alongside the sequel (Way of the Warrior Kid: The New Recruit), which deals with emotional toughness in the same way this book deals with physical and mental toughness. I'd be happy gifting both books to any child who I thought was ready to read them without reflexively deeming them "corny" (or whatever insult kids use these days when their BS detectors misfire on sincerity -- as mine did when I was a kid).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Way of the Warrior Kid.

Finished Reading