Madhuri's Reviews > Bonsaï

Bonsaï by Alejandro Zambra

Nov 16, 2011

bookshelves: chile, latin-american, novella

It's a short book - and there are some parts of it that are fabulous. Like the way the relationship at the center of the story begins and ends. Long ago, I had someone tell me - if you can see the end, the end is already here. And never have I seen those thoughts mirrored more accurately than here in this slim novel.
I liked the way characters are kept at edge, deemed unimportant to the story. And I like how they still barge in, demanding a larger space, even in such few pages.
Towards the end, the story steered off into another dimension, and i did not much care for it. But by that time, it had already endeared itself.
There is something about the Latin American writers - they read. A lot. It always comes back in their writing. And sometimes, you can read them to build your reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonsaï.

Jigar Brahmbhatt where did you find the copy? I have been looking for one from quite some time.

Madhuri I have still not acquired it, but there seems to be a copy in the library here. I am putting these into the to-read so I know what to pick up the next time I visit.

Jigar Brahmbhatt Nice library you have there!

Madhuri Jigar, if you haven't already, then you must read this. It reminded me of some of the stories you have outlined - it just seems your kind of book in many ways!

Jigar Brahmbhatt In fact, after reading your review I have already ordered it from flipkart :)