Jeanie Cullip's Reviews > The Grace Effect: How the Power of One Life Can Reverse the Corruption of Unbelief

The Grace Effect by Larry Alex Taunton

Nov 16, 2011

Simply defined, the 'grace effect' is an observable phenomenon-that life is demonstrably better where authentic Christianity flourishes."

What does Christianity give us beyond televangelists, potlucks, and bad basketball leagues? Not much, according to the secular Left. The world, they say, would be a better place without it.
Historian and Christian apologist Larry Taunton has spent much of his career refuting just this sort of thinking, but when he encounters Sasha, a golden-haired Ukranian orphan girl whose life has been shaped by atheistic theorists, he discovers an unlikely champion for the transforming power of grace. Through the narrative of Sasha's redemption, we see the false promises of socialism; the soul-destroying influence of unbelief; and how a society cultivates its own demise when it rejects the ultimate source of grace. We see, in short, the kind of world the atheists would give us: a world without Christianity-cold, pitiless, and graceless. And yet, as Sasha shows us, it is a world that is not beyond the healing power of "the grace effect." Occasionally infuriating, often amusing, but always inspiring, The Grace Effect will have you cheering for the courageous little girl who shamed the academic elitists of our day.
I found The Grace Effect was a well blended story of adoption, history and the theology of grace. While parts of the book were hard to read due to the emotional subject matter of the state of the orphanages in the Ukraine and the corruption of the government there, Larry Taunton does a tremendous job of painting a picture through his words. I was able to see clearly what a society without any regard for God looks like. I also found that I have a better sense of why my family left the Ukraine generations ago. As a LifeGroup leader I enjoyed that the book included a discussion guide with recommended reading suggestions after each chapter discussion, this would make for an excellent book club selection or for use in a small group gathering.

“Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace Effect.