Kimberly's Reviews > Unbury Carol

Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, western
Read 2 times. Last read April 16, 2018 to April 17, 2018.

2.5 stars.

UNBURY CAROL, by Josh Malerman is a difficult book for me to review. On one hand, his writing is very nice and fluid (in parts), but overall, the repetition of certain phrases had me practically rolling my eyes by the end.

The premise of this story is very original. Carol has a rare condition that causes her to go into a coma for days at a time, appearing dead. Now married to someone who only wants her money, he plans on making her next "death" the "real deal". Enter an "outlaw/boyfriend" from Carol's past to come save the day. Okay, I will admit upfront that this was much more of a fantasy/western/romance than any sort of horror book, which I wasn't too thrilled with. However, with the original condition given Carol, I could still conceivably have gotten into this one if it wasn't for all the annoying repetitions, and the fact that it was all too easy to see WHERE the story was going to end up.

At least, it's only one novel. I did enjoy his previous novel, BIRDBOX,, and have another book by him in my TBR pile that I hope will be more in keeping with the style I originally liked of his. Everyone's opinion may vary, so if Fantasy/Western/Romances are your thing, you will probably enjoy this one much more than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbury Carol.

Finished Reading
April 16, 2018 – Started Reading
April 16, 2018 – Shelved
April 16, 2018 – Shelved as: books-i-own
April 16, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 16, 2018 – Shelved as: western
April 16, 2018 –
page 138
37.6% "Okay, I'm already pretty sure I know where this is going, and I'm not thrilled with it so far..."
April 17, 2018 –
page 286
April 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Karl (new)

Karl -- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely known friend of the family.--

Kimberly Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely known friend of the family.--"

LOL! Ironically, I got a SIGNED H/C from the Nocturnal Readers Box.... I'm almost done with it, so if you know any collector's that would like it.....

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely known friend of the family.--"

LOL! Ironically, I ..."

-- I'm sure that somewhere deep in the wooded canadian wilderness some poor reprobate is in dire need of kindling in order to be able to roast his tofu to perfection, unfortunately no address to send relief to is available, and I'm sure no postal employee delivers in that area. --

Kimberly Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely known friend of the family.--"

LO..."

MY Thoughts, exactly.... a decent idea, but not one that worked for me, personally.

message 5: by Karl (new)

Karl Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely known friend of the f..."

-- I probably jumped to conclusions thinking that you were in contact with any retrobates or any other questionable characters, my apologies. I'm sure you know worthy recipients in dire need for reading materials. I bow to your superior delegatioon abilities. --

Kimberly Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by some barely know..."

Would you like it, Karl?? ;)

message 7: by Karl (new)

Karl Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money left to you by som..."

-- Thank you for your kind offer, invariably I must decline as I am not a fan of this author, and I just purchased an electric TOFU roaster so there is no need to construct a cooking fire in need of kindling. --

Kimberly Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karl wrote: "-- I hope you found it in the cast-off bin and did not have to invest any grand sums or inheritance money l..."

LMAO!!!! :)