Bob's Reviews > Jurassic Florida

Jurassic Florida by Hunter Shea

bookshelves: dinosaurs, horror

Jurassic Florida is pure b-grade schlock horror, with an eclectic cast of characters, breakneck action, well-timed humor, and giant freakin' lizards.

Not just big, not just massive, but dinosaur-sized giant lizard!

Although I enjoyed The Montauk Monster, it is only now that I understand why Hunter Shea has such a rabid fan base. This was monstrous fun, a riot from beginning to end. At a little more than 100 pages, it's the perfect read for a sweltering summer afternoon - so long as it's far away from any lizards.

The story does a great job of introducing the characters, establishing the quirky little town of Polo Springs, and building some immediate tension. It all begins with mysterious holes in backyard gardens, sunken sidewalk slabs, and lizards dropping from the trees. By the time the hurricane makes landfall, we're already familiar with the homeless crook, the stay-at-home dad, the lesbian couple, and the eighteen-year-old mayor and her parents, we're invested in this little town and feeling that critical sense of dread needed to fuel the horror.

Shea smartly saves the giant lizards for the last 30 pages or so, maximizing their impact in delivering Jurassic Park levels of violent madness, bloody carnage, and dark pulp humor. It's so hard to sustain these kinds of stories, much less deliver on a climax, but Jurassic Florida kept me hooked right to the very end, with a final resolution that made the chuckle with its unexpected banality. Definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jurassic Florida.

April 16, 2018 – Shelved