Amy's Reviews > The Art of Rivalry: Four Friendships, Betrayals, and Breakthroughs in Modern Art

The Art of Rivalry by Sebastian Smee

There are stories that have stayed with me since reading this a couple of years ago (when I took a hiatus from goodreads). One such story: "In 1945, Pollock's old and frequently tense friendship with Philip Gueston, who had been a fellow student back at Manual Arts in California, had come to a head at a party thrown by Sande. Pollock had already embraced abstraction at this point and was entering his most fruitful phase. He turned on Guston, who was panting allegorical works in a figurative style that was beginning to look old hat. 'Goddamn it,' exploded Pollock, 'I won't stand for the way you're painting! I won't stand for it!' He threatened to throw Guston out the window. A drawn-out fist-fight ensued." A must-read for anyone who loves Picasso, Matisse, DeKooning, Freud, Bacon, Matisse and Degas. Not only are the stories amusing, but you get more insights into the work of these artists and what drove them to create.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Rivalry.

Finished Reading