Iris's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

bookshelves: 4-stars, fantasy, read-in-2018, very-young-young-adult

I really, really enjoyed this book!

I fell head over heels in love with these characters!
It took me a while to warm up to them. At first I just thought they were pretty bland. And then at some point I realized that was no longer true, and I was completely in love with them.
Gen was a really likeable MC. I mean, at first I thought he was an arrogant whiny brat, and to be honest that description still fits fairly well, but by the end it's really hard not to like him anyway.
The side characters were amazing too! All of them were so well developed, and I loved them so much!

And the world was fascinating. It was a fairly unique world, and if I'm not mistaken it was somewhat inspired by Greece. Not culturally perhaps, but it was just little things such as the food, that were constantly putting me in mind of Greece.
Maybe I'm completely wrong, and it wasn't at all Greece-inspired, but either way, I really liked the world, and thought it was developed quite well.

My only problem with this book was the plot. It was literally the most predictable thing I've ever read. While I didn't quite predict every plot twist, I did see a couple of them coming from miles away, and the others simply weren't surprising. At all. I mean not even slightly. It was just like, "Yep, that happened. Why am I not surprised?"

Still, this was a very enjoyable read, and I would definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

April 15, 2018 – Started Reading
April 15, 2018 – Shelved
April 15, 2018 –
page 234
83.87% "Wait, when did I start caring so much about these characters? I swear when they first came in I couldn't care less, and now I'm completely in love. I just don't know when this happened."
April 16, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-stars