Kristin 's Reviews > Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read July 6, 2018 to July 7, 2018.

In Wild Hunger we follow Elisa Sullivan who is the daughter of the two main characters in the Chicagoland Vampires series. She was born as a vampire, making her the only one of her kind. She's been away in Paris the last four years but has returned home in order to assist in peace talks among the vampire houses. However, chaos ensues an pretty soon Elisa finds herself tracking down the killer and unearthing more betrayal than anyone could have imagined.

Since this is a spin-off, I do suggest that anyone interested in reading this series read at least the first couple of books from the Chicagoland Vampire series since that will explain the dynamics and relationships between a lot of key players we meet in this story. However, I only read up to the fourth or fifth book of that series and never made it to the portion where they had a daughter. With that being said, I didn't feel like I missed too much by jumping into this series without seeing Elisa as a baby or toddler in the previous series. The author actually includes a prologue of Elisa and Conner as kids so that you get an understanding of their history.

I felt like Wild Hunger follows the same theme and story arc as Chicagoland Vampires. Someone attacks a vampire, and it's a mad dash to not only find the killer, but figure out what their master plan is and stop them before it's too late. One thing that I really liked about this story was probably to romance element between Elisa and Connor (the shifter prince and her childhood annoyance). They are reunited in this story and while they bicker and argue a lot, you can clearly tell that Connor always has an eye on Elisa and always has her back. I'm surprised it took the girl so long to figure it out.

This story not only had a budding romance, but there was a lot of action. Between the attack in France and the attacks in Chicago, there was never really a dull moment in the story. I really liked that the author didn't skip over the fight scenes. There's a lot of turmoil between the houses and species of this world, and I'm glad that we not only got to see the tension but we witnessed the chaos that is caused by all the prejudices.

Wild Hunger is a great start to a new generation of Chicagoland characters. I absolutely loved Connor, and I really liked Elisa's character. Most times I find heroines reckless or annoying, but she was neither. She understood the position she was in and tried to do all that she could to solve a deep-rooted problem. I also really appreciate that there wasn't any cliffhangers. We're left knowing that there is more to these character's story, but no one is left dangling from a cliff, or battling the clutches of death before the book ends. Which, I don't know about you, but that really bothers me. We get a nice beginning, middle, and end to the story with the understanding that their story has just begun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Hunger.

Finished Reading