A Reader's Heaven's Reviews > Aquila

Aquila by Sue-Ellen Pashley

Apr 15, 2018

liked it
bookshelves: australian, contemporary, net-galley, romance, ya-children, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read March 12, 2015 to March 14, 2015.

Eighteen-year-old Nick Larcombe is a self-confessed non-romantic. Until he lays eyes on Grace Carr, who has just moved to Bruny Island with her grandmother, Lillie.Already bruised and battered by life, Grace isn't looking for any sort of relationship, but when Nick, the mysterious boy next door, somehow rescues her from sure death at the bottom of a windswept cliff, Grace needs answers. But how can Nick give her the answers she needs when he's been sworn to secrecy, ordered to keep his true nature hidden from the girl he's fallen hard for? And what will his community do when they discover he's fallen in love with a human?

This was a little up and down for me. While I found there was a really good story buried here, it was surrounded by a mish-mash of confusing ideas that brought the story down for me.

What did I enjoy? The trip itself, of Nick and Grace's relationship. Many obstacles and adversity crossed their paths and they dealt with them. I enjoyed some of the secondary characters (especially Grandma Lillie!) and the sense of place was strong throughout.

What didn't excite me were the following: the "insta-love" was just so predictable and disappointing - this story really didn't need that and would have been better if the relationship grew along the way. Also, this was probably more suited for the YA market, although it is classified for the Adult romance market. That was a letdown as I expected bigger things from the characters early.

Overall, a good story for those who like a YA-style paranormal contemporary romance novel.

Paul
ARH

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aquila.

Finished Reading