Bernadette Robinson's Reviews > The Twelve

The Twelve by D.E. McCluskey

Thanks to the Author and Publisher for the opportunity to read this story in exchange for an honest review. I gave this a strong 4 stars or 8/10.

Whilst John is away with work he gets a message from Gill his wife, telling him that she thinks there is someone in the house. He feels at a loss and helpless with being so far away. John Rydell and his wife Gill met at University and along with 10 other friends formed a friendship group called The Twelve and there could only be twelve of them for a reason.

The story is told as a dual time frame story, set in the present and the past (while they were all at University together). The chapters are small and the encouragement is there to keep you reading just that one more chapter, as the story draws you in. The premise was interesting and had me hooked from the start. As his old University friends are dying off one by one, they all have one thing in common. They are all dying the same way as each other, why is this happening and who is doing it? With a great mix of both narrative and descriptive passages the story sets the scenes well.

I enjoyed this story and my only niggle was that it could have done with slightly better editing, as I found myself correcting things as I read. This did spoil my enjoyment of the story a little. However, it won't put me off reading other books by this Author.

This book is ideal for fans of James Herbert and Stephen King, it's a great modern horror story that will keep you thinking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelve.

April 15, 2018 – Shelved